Chapter IV

Chancellor Alexander Vay'lor sat in his office on Hosnian Prime, surrounded by the hum of the city below and the echoes of recent diplomatic negotiations with Thera. The enigma of Zarcainus, however, lingered in the back of his mind. As he sifted through reports and communiques, an aide, holding a datapad, entered the room. "Chancellor, there's an update from the Exploration Corps team on Zarcainus," the aide announced. Vay'lor leaned forward, his attention fully captured by the unfolding mystery. "Tell me what they've discovered."

The aide began relaying the information. "The team managed to conduct a closer ground search on Zarcainus. While they did find a base, it appears to have been dormant for hundreds of years. The only remnants of activity were marked crates, and here's where it gets interesting – the crates bear inscriptions in a language that our droids and Republic records don't have on file. It's unlike anything we've encountered before."

Chancellor Vay'lor furrowed his brow, absorbing the implications of the report. "An ancient base with unknown markings? This only deepens the mystery surrounding Zarcainus. Can the Exploration Corps decipher the language, or do we have any leads on its origin?"

The aide shook their head. "So far, Chancellor, our linguistic experts are at a loss. The language doesn't match any known galactic dialects, past or present. It's as if it belongs to a civilization lost to time." Vay'lor contemplated the information, his mind racing with possibilities. "Were there any clues within the base itself? Any artifacts or records that might shed light on who established it and why it remained inactive for so long?"

The aide hesitated for a moment before responding, "The team found remnants of technology, but it's outdated and degraded. The lack of recent activity raises more questions than answers. It's as if whoever set up the base vanished without a trace." Chancellor Vay'lor leaned back in his chair, his gaze fixed on the cityscape beyond his window. Zarcainus, a planet seemingly untouched for centuries, now revealed layers of mystery that defied easy explanation.

"Continue the investigation," Vay'lor instructed. "We need to uncover the history of this ancient base and the purpose behind its existence. If there are clues that elude us, we must dig deeper. Zarcainus holds secrets that may have ramifications for the entire galaxy." As the aide left to convey the Chancellor's orders, Vay'lor pondered the interconnected challenges facing the New Republic – the delicate diplomacy with Thera and the enigma of Zarcainus, a planet with a past shrouded in the shadows of history. The mysteries of the galaxy were unfolding, and Chancellor Alexander Vay'lor was determined to unravel them, one piece at a time.

Back in the Unknown Regions, the corridors of Thrawn's new flagship, the Chimaera, were adorned with the austere elegance characteristic of Chiss design. It was a nod to his old Imperial flagship and the Marocsaa subclan. Supreme General Thrawn walked briskly, his old eyes contemplative as he left the meeting with military officers of the Expansionary Defense Fleet. Strategic discussions had occupied their time, considering the ever-changing dynamics of the Unknown Regions.

Just as Thrawn reached the bridge, a junior commander approached with a crisp salute marking his respect for the esteemed General. "Supreme General Thrawn, we've received a base alert from the old Chiss intelligence outpost on Zarcainus." Thrawn's gaze sharpened with interest. "Explain the nature of the alert." He asked as the junior commander spoke. "The outpost has detected a breach, sir," the junior commander reported. "There are unauthorized entities inside. The intruders have identified themselves as agents of the New Republic."

Thrawn's mind worked swiftly, analyzing the implications of this unexpected development. The Chiss Ascendancy had long since withdrawn from Zarcainus, leaving the outpost dormant for centuries. The presence of the New Republic in that secluded intelligence base presented a puzzle that demanded Thrawn's attention. "Have they made any hostile moves?" Thrawn inquired, his voice calm but commanding.