Chapter 021

|Chapter 021|

Calls

•••
🥀🥀🥀🥀

It had been a few days since that night and once again, Hyeon-U acted as though nothing happened between him and Jin-ae. As he worked in his office, people walking in and out to talk to him, she stood quietly at the bar staring at the lemon she was about to squeeze. Not once has Hyeon-U spoken to Jin-ae nor looked in her direction.

On her phone, she had 30 missed calls from Mai which she ignored.

"Gosh,  Jin-ae you look like you've seen better days and this day just ain't the one." Young-soo approached,  taking a seat on the barstool. "I've just been thinking about Mai.." She said only bringing up one of the things bothering her. "Oh? I heard about that.." Young-soo sighed,  not surprised at all. "You think you know someone..until you don't.." She placed the lemon down and began taking off her apron once she noticed that it was 5 pm.

"Who knows what else they could be hiding.." Young-soo said as she watched her.

Hyeon-U looked up at the two,  noticing Jin-ae getting ready to leave, and decided to say something. "Where do you think you're going?" He asked,  leaning back in his chair.

"This is the usual time I get off from working at the bar. I have plans." She said,  walking to the door. "You finish when I say you're finished." He said.

"Excuse me?" Jin-ae stopped in her tracks,  turning to look at him. Young-soo took this opportunity to quickly leave and wait outside the door, closing it behind her.

"You heard me." Hyeon-U stared at her. "I don't have time to waste with you. My father is expecting me at 5:30. Whatever you have to say to me,  fucking save it... Asshole."  as she opened the door to exit the office,  Young-soo,  Do-yun, and Lee all stood there trying to listen. They fixed their posture as Jin-ae walked by,  ignoring them and heading on her way.

Young-soo,  Do-yun, and Lee both walked into the office not saying anything about what happened between the two. "What do you have for me, Do-yun?" Hyeon-U started.

"Her father isn't even hot on our trail. Well, there was this time he mentioned hearing your voice over the phone when he was speaking to Jin-ae,  but I quickly talked him out of it, implying that he was working too hard and possibly needed to get more sleep. For the week he was determined but let it slide." Do-Yun placed a few documents on Hyeon-U's table.

"As for the Geun and Mai situation, it seems like she has been working for Geun for a year now. Doesn't seem to know much about the business side of things, she's just his showgirl." Do-yun explained.

Young-soo scuffed and crossed her arms. "What else does this girl have on her? First, she's sleeping with Jin-ae's father and now she's a stripper?! Gosh.. she looked so innocent.." She muttered.

"One last thing." Do-Yun placed another file on the table.  It was a document on the man who broke into Jin-ae's apartment. "It wasn't just a random trying to attack two girls for his entertainment."

Within the files were photos of the man and Guen conversating in his car, the photo taken from far away but you can tell who was in the photo. "Turns out Guen hired the man to kill Mai because she overheard one of his conversations about killing. She wasn't supposed to know and so, she became a target, but seeing that she is now and still working for him,  he might just have her on a tightrope." Do-yun stood by the window, watching down below as Jin-ae got into a car.

"He always makes stupid decisions and when he's angry,  those decisions become chaotic. Not only for him but for those within the same business." Lee spoke up.

"Ooh! Does this mean we finally get to take him out!? Do you know how long I've wanted to? That bastard ruined my favourite shoes one time and don't get me started on my glasses.." Young-soo stood up,  excited to take out Geun.

"No. We won't be doing anything. Not now at least."

-

"How's work?" Kwang asked as he prepared some dinner for the two of them. "Well.. work is great yuh know..making drinks and such. Let's not talk about me,  please?" She said, letting out a small sigh.

"Okay,  let us talk about something completely different.." He said in thought. A few seconds went by before he spoke up again. "I got nothing.." He chuckled and she smiled. "How about you? Find yourself a lady friend yet? One who can take care of you and make you happy?" She asked,  leaning over the counter,  smiling at him.

"No..? " He lied but she knew him. "Shut up,  who is she?! My father has a girlfriend and I don't even know who she is. Where did you find the time? You're always so busy!" She chuckled.  "I can't let you meet her, I have to make sure she's the one first, or else it'll look.." He stopped and sighed with a smile. "She's great that's all you need to know." He said.

"I'm happy that you're happy. It's about time!" She giggled and walked off to the bathroom.  Upon making her way to the bathroom,  she heard a phone ringing and stopped in her tracks,  making her way to her father's soon to find it. It was on the bedside table and the person calling was titled 'Babe'

"That's weird for an older man, father." She smiled and picked up the phone,  answering and bringing it up to her ear.

"Kwang? Sorry for calling at the moment, I'll be there tonight once Jin-ae is gone. I'm currently looking at a few lingerie to surprise you and a nice fluffy coat."

Jin-ae's entire world froze as she heard Mai's voice on the other end of the line. "What color should I get the lingerie in?" Mai asked.

"Red," Jin-ae responded.

"Jin-ae..?" Mai stopped,  frozen on the other line. Jin-ae quickly hung up and placed the phone on the bed before walking out of the room. She walked into the kitchen and looked at her father.

"You're fucking my best friend?" She asked,  trying her best to contain her anger. Kwang stopped what he was doing and looked at her in guilt. He had no other choice but to be honest.

"Yes.."

"What is wrong with you?! My best friend? Are you serious..? How long has this been going on?" She asked.  "2 years.."

"That's..you-" Jin-ae grabbed her bag and walked to the door. "Jin-ae wait! It just sort of happened. I was home and you weren't. Mai came over to look for you-"

"I don't need to fucking know how my best friend and my father started fucking! I need to be alone.." She opened the door and walked towards the car where her driver had been waiting. As Kwang stood by the door,  watching her leave,  the driver gave him a smirk.

It only took him a few seconds to realize the familiar car she was getting into and he quickly walked over. "Do not get into that car,  Jin-ae!" He shouted as she got in and closed the door.

She rolled down the window and looked at him. He looked at the red velvet interior of the car and stared at her worried. "Don't call." She said, sighing. "What have you gotten yourself into? What is this?" he asked.

"Drive." She rolled up her window,  ignoring his question as the car began to move.

Kwang looked at the back of the car to see that there was no licensed plate and he knew exactly what that meant.

"Shit.. shit shit shit!"

-

🥀🥀🥀

5H 4RK