[ eleven ] face time calls and tattoos

- ୨♡୧ -

14:07 [ NYC ] | 04:07 [ TKY ]

- ୨♡୧ -

⎯⎯ calling: rinnie 🤍... ⎯⎯

- ୨୧ -

⎯⎯ call accepted ⎯⎯

- ୨♡୧ -

The phone was still ringing, when she set it up leaning against the keyboard on her desk. Right when she put her AirPods in, Rin picked up. Haru quickly glanced at the time popping up above Rin's contact name on her phone screen. She hadn't really paid attention to the time, but if her math was right, it should be about 4 a.m. in Japan currently.

"What the hell are you doing up?"

She heard a quiet scoff.

"You're aware that you called me, right?"

The girl was glad to hear, that there didn't seem to be any anger in his voice. Only a touch of annoyance, though she had come to get used to it. She was surprised, though, to hear his counter question. After all, he had called her first. Granted, she had missed that call, but it had been less than five minutes ago.

"You called first, remember?" He sighed. "And FaceTime no less. Miss me that much, Rinnie?"

Even though she was thousands of miles away, she could almost see him roll his eyes at her, as if he were standing right across from her.

"Sure, if that's what you want to tell yourself."

On the one hand she felt like it was just a lighthearted jab at her and yet the way his voice sounded both quiet and somber, even through the subpar connection of the phone, made her hesitate. Rin wasn't one to stay up till 4 in the morning. Usually he would be the first to scold her for that kind of behaviour, as he tended to take his health very seriously.

"Okay but seriously, why are you up so late?"

He noticed her voice turning softer. It was strange to him, how they'd spent years on other ends of the earth and yet she still knew exactly from his behavior that something was wrong.

"Just didn't feel like sleeping."

That was a lie. Both of them knew it was and yet Haru knew better than to keep asking. If Rin felt like it, he would tell her and if not, then she would still do what she could to support him. After all, even without him speaking on it, she had a pretty good idea on what gave him trouble sleeping.

"You want company?" She asked. "Not sleeping is easier with someone around."

He scoffed again, lighter now though. If Haru didn't know him any better, she would have almost mistaken it for a quiet, almost successfully stifled laugh.

"Sure."

He agreed faster than she had expected him to. He would have lied if he said that he didn't miss her, but he had never been one to admit such things. She was already cocky enough and he didn't want to serve her more ammunition to annoy him with by admitting that he had missed her every day since she had left.

"So, is there any chance that you face timing me wasn't just you pressing the wrong button?"

The slight teasing tone in her voice could not be missed, but for some reason Rin wasn't bothered by it.

"No, it was on purpose."

"What? No way! You actually want to see me?"

Within seconds Rin regretted his previous statement.