Chapter Eight: Caskets

The atmosphere within Selene's household grew heavy with grief and uncertainty in the wake of the tragedy. Wednesday arrived, yet Selene remained sequestered within the confines of her room, unwilling to face the world outside. Her parents, consumed by their own grief, made feeble attempts to coax her out of her self-imposed isolation, but to no avail.

To them, it seemed like their daughter was grappling with the loss of her friends, lost in the throes of mourning. Little did they know that Selene's solitude was not borne out of grief alone, but also from the burden of guilt weighing heavily on her conscience. She couldn't shake the image of the innocent life she had inadvertently taken, couldn't silence the voice in her head that condemned her for her actions.

Days stretched on, each one a delicate dance between acceptance and despair. Selene's self-imposed punishment took various forms, from long hours spent in silent contemplation to futile attempts at self-deprivation. She refused food, hoping to dull the pain with hunger, yet her body remained stubbornly resilient, her strength undiminished despite her efforts.

In the solitude of her room, Selene battled with her demons, her mind a battleground of conflicting emotions. She loathed herself for what she had done, blamed herself for the loss of her friend and the innocent life she had taken. But no amount of punishment could alleviate the guilt that gnawed at her soul, leaving her trapped in a cycle of self-loathing and despair.

Selene's parents entered her room and sat beside her on the bed, dressed in black office attire. Selene appeared confused but remained silent. Her mother gently stroked her daughter's blonde hair, seeking to comfort her troubled expression, unaware of the turmoil Selene was experiencing.

As Selene looked at her mother, a tear escaped her eye. "Am I a monster?" She whispered softly.

Her mother's heart broke at the question, her own eyes shimmering with unshed tears. "No, sweetheart." She replied softly, pulling Selene into a tender embrace. "You're not a monster. You're my baby."

Selene's father joined them, his presence adding a sense of strength and solidarity to the moment. He wrapped his arms around both Selene and her mother, forming a protective cocoon of familial love.

"Sometimes, grief can make us feel like monsters." He offered, his voice gentle but firm. "But you're not defined by your darkest moments, Selene. You're so much more than that."

Selene buried her face in her mother's shoulder, her body trembling with emotion. For a brief moment, she allowed herself to be enveloped by the warmth and love of her family, finding solace in their presence.

Yet, beneath the facade of comfort, the weight of guilt and self-loathing still lingered, a constant reminder of the burden she carried.

"Why do I feel like a monster?" Selene's voice was barely above a whisper, muffled by the fabric of her mother's blouse. Her words hung heavy in the air, a poignant reflection of her inner turmoil.

Her parents exchanged a solemn glance, their hearts aching for their daughter's pain. "Because grief has a way of distorting our perceptions." Her mother explained gently, her fingers gently tracing circles on Selene's back. "It makes us believe things that aren't true, that we're to blame for things beyond our control."

Selene's father nodded in agreement, his voice filled with empathy. "You're not alone in feeling this way, Selene." He reassured her, his tone comforting yet resolute. "But we're here for you, always. You don't have to face this pain alone."

Selene let out a shaky breath, the weight of her guilt slowly easing as she leaned into her parents' embrace. For the first time in days, she felt a glimmer of hope, a flicker of light in the darkness that threatened to consume her. With her parents by her side, she knew that she could find a way to forgive herself and move forward, one day at a time.