They Might As Well Be Looking At Us

Do not look back, Orpheus

Do not look back, Orpheus. Never look back.

               I'm coming wait for me

Anastasia Zhao fears snakes, not in the figural sense, and her twin sister had always joked about that fact. What were the chances of a venomous snake biting her, after all? Almost none. She steered clear of the areas where the Northern California rattlesnakes had been spotted, kept away from the reptilian enclosures in zoos, and did anything else she could to avoid the creatures.

At sixteen, that fear seems insignificant. Her twin sister is dead. Her father is dead. She'd been living in Portland for years, rather than the only home she'd ever known. But something always changes your world. It feels almost as a coincidence she moves back to Beacon Hills eight years after her family's deaths. Fate is laughing in her face. Her mother is lying to her. Just a funeral, nothing more. But then you're back in Beacon Hills, screaming for your sister and father to come back.

Look, she knew her sister had been best friends with Stiles Stilinski and Scott McCall, and she also knew that they had never been informed of the deaths that had occurred. Her mother had wanted to keep everything under tight wraps. Though, now that she was back, she hadn't been prepared to be called by her sister's name, being asked questions about things she knew nothing about. She wasn't ever friends with them. They hadn't even known her, as her parents had decided to homeschool her for safety. Not her sister though.

It's Scott's girlfriend Allison – who is also the niece of that woman of the funeral – who jokingly compares Anastasia with the Greek mythology figure of Eurydice, as Eurydice dies by a snakebite and Anastasia is afraid of snakes. Hilarious. Like she's going to have someone go to the Underworld to bring her back from the death. She doesn't have an Orpheus. Though, it's wonderful that that friend group seems to find it hilarious.

Beacon Hills might have terrible memories, but Anastasia is beginning to realize that moving back also has its benefits. Angelica Thomas might be a literal angel put on earth, Lydia Martin is just cool. There's also Isaac Lahey and despite all his cockiness, and absolutely terrible moments, she can't help but be drawn to him. Her very own Orpheus. Oops? Perhaps they'll make Orpheus and Eurydice proud by getting out? Some place on Earth those two had to live to tell the tale, right?