CHAPTER II | Anguish

Louis Thorne is a sardonically rude being. We had met under meer coincidence a year back, ever since we had become common adversaries.

"You have been aquatinted?" Alice asks, beaming out of pure delight. "Not under pleasurable circumstances." I add, smoothing my skirt.

He laughs in cohesion. I watch as Alice, figures her fan, turning to face me.

"You ought to be imprisoned for your introductions." she adds. I glare at her unamused.

"Dances then?" she questions, the men furrow their brows in response.

Me and Alice had known each other since leading-strings, somehow we had driven out every lady maid and tutor that came our way. We were a devious duo, known for our tricks wether it was a fish to the face or a push in the pond. We had since grown from our prankish ways, however our etiquette cried from the lack of education. Since leading us to this very moment.

I nudge Alice as she jumps up. "Ah.." she relises, "thats not my question to ask is it."

I shake my head coherently. I turn back to the two gentlemen.. well one gentlemen, the other was questionable. "I believe a dance will do nicely." Lord Harcourt muses, offering Alice his arm.

She shrugs as they whisk away to the dance floor.

"Still unmarried, I see." I turn to face the rodent as he gulps a drink, presumably bourbon.

"That is of no concern to you." I add, taking a champagne from aside. I rather enjoyed champagne in demanding situations such as this one, it calms my nerves.

"Still as sardonic as ever, then." he insults. I roll my eyes in response, fighting the urge to combine the glass and his face.

God who does he think be is.

"Clever." I begin to clap tauntingly, as he fixes his expression. I turn to face the crowd searching for a dancing Alice.

"You act as If im an imbecile." he states, swishing his brew.

"You aren't?" I turn around to face him. He stood there unearthed from the comment, still sipping his drink.

"Humorous." he says, placing the beverage down. "Infant so humorous i'm going to leave so I can replay the remark a little longer, you know until it creates damage." He leaves like that, towards the stairs ambling his way up.

I despise that man that is one thing undeniable.

•••••••••••
"Where did you run off too of yest?" Mama asks, pouring milk into her tea. Harriet bounds through the door coming to a hault when she reaches the settee.

"I was with Alice." I say pressing a flower, into my scrapbook. Mama never approved of my scrapbooking however it entertained me that she despised it as so. She offers me a glance as if to say I know what your doing. I shrug away the gesture, continuing to write.

"Must you always be so uptight?" Harriet asks, beseating herself. The sun shines through the curtains onto her. It was clement today, the sun easily kissed the skin, making it easy to burn. Mama had suggested we remain indoors as of today, so we would not result a befreckled begger. I found such a comment presumptuous. I fancied the sun, it shines upon days that I only would consider rainy. It made me imagine myself in a field of tulips, bounding through the assortments and over the horizon. I have quite the imagination or so I am told.

"I am not uptight." I retort coming back to my senses. Harriet shakes off the comment, and opens her book. I begin to say something but stop, it wasn't my place to judge wether she was family or not.

I press another flower into my scrapbook, this time a Centaurea cyanus, otherwise known as a cornflower. We had grown such flowers in our garden, I had managed to loot one a day prior.

I hear the door open again, this time Evangeline waltzes in. "Harriet, you have taken my earnings." she states, walking to her. "I have done none of the such." she replies. I look at Mama, as she ignores the feud. She had come to ignore such arguments as they grew increasingly common.

"Hand them over." she says, offering her hand. I laugh as I press another flower. "Evangeline I don't have them." she grunts in response slamming her publication. I take a glance over as Harriet digs out a pair of earrings from her slipper. "Vulgar." she says pinching the earrings and fleetly leaving the room.

I turn over a page in my book, as Mama shakes her head. Harriet stands up in response and rolls her eyes, soon vacating the room.

•••••••••

IM STARTING TO GET THE HANG OF IT FROM THE LAST CHAPTER.
I PROMISE THE REST OF THE BOOK WILL GET INCREASINGLY BETTER, I HAVE MANY PLANS FOR THE UPCOMING CHAPTERS, maybe a scandal..?