Chapter 33: Final Showdown

The day arrived to confront the council and hold them accountable for their actions. The plan, though still in its infancy after just a week of preparation, instilled a sense of determination in them. They couldn't afford to fail, not after coming this far.

Sophia and Elaine convened in the morning at a nearby coffee shop, situated close to what they now called the Rogue headquarters. Over cups of coffee, they engaged in small talk, but Sophia sensed Elaine's nervousness beneath the surface.

"Elaine, don't worry, this will work. Just trust me," Sophia reassured her. Elaine nodded silently, clinging to the hope that the enforcer's confidence was well-placed.

"Right, let's get started," Elaine declared, sliding off her stool at the coffee shop and leading the way to the door, with Sophia following closely behind.

They drove to the hospital where David, her father, was being treated. As they arrived, Elaine took a moment to steel herself. She knew that making a public appearance in a hospital controlled by the council would inevitably lead to her capture, sooner or later.

She stormed through the door and headed straight to where she was told her father was being kept.

"Ma'am, you can't just barge in like that," a nurse called after her, but Elaine pressed on, disregarding the woman's protests. She could hear the nurse calling for security as she made her way through the hospital corridors.

Finally, Elaine reached her father's room and entered, seeing him in person for the first time since their swap at BioOrg. He had been awaiting her arrival, having been briefed by Philip on the details of their plan and his role in it all. As soon as their eyes met, she recognized him from the pictures she had seen, and deep down, she knew it was him. Tears welled up in his eyes, and she watched as they paused at the wrinkles by his eyes before gently cascading down his cheek. Despite his frail appearance, his smile stretched from ear to ear. Elaine approached his bedside and clasped his hand, feeling her own tears streaming down her cheeks. He was so thin, yet she could still sense the tenacity radiating from him. She let her energy flow through her hands, providing warmth and comfort to her father.

"Your mother used to do that all the time," he said, his voice filled with emotion. Elaine smiled at his statement, wishing she could have known her mother too.

Their tender moment was abruptly interrupted as the door flew open and the room filled with security personnel and a handful of enforcers.

"Sir, are you okay?" they asked, concern evident in their voices.

"Well, I'd be better if you weren't interrupting my time with my daughter," he responded, his tone firm and slightly irritated.

They all exchanged confused glances, uncertain of their next move.

"She's aligned herself with the rogues and must be brought to justice," one of the enforcers declared. "I'm sorry, sir, but we have to bring her in."

The enforcer reached for Elaine's arm to forcibly remove her from the room. In response, her father hurled a tiny speck of energy at the man, who looked startled by the unexpected action.

"Let go of my girl, or the next one won't be so gentle," her father warned sternly.

Just then, Sophia stormed into the room, adding another layer of tension to the already charged atmosphere.

"Sorry, sir, we have our orders to apprehend her and take her in awaiting a trial. You may speak in her defense at that point, but if you do not allow us to do our jobs, we will fight," Sophia stated firmly, with the other enforcers nodding in agreement.

"I decline a trial. I choose penalty thirty-two for siding with the rogues, with all of you as my witnesses now," Elaine declared, adhering to their rehearsed plan.