Chapter Nineteen: New Abilities

One morning Tobin lay awake waiting for the fear and there was nothing except a comfortable numbness. He edged his mind close to the idea of his identity and he was able to contemplate himself without descending into raving madness – though he was only vaguely aware of who he was.

The tall Churchblade was tending fire – his name was Monton and Tobin knew he was responsible for the deep scratches on the Captain's face.

"Captain." Monton looked round anxiously, and then relaxed when he saw lucidity in Tobin's eyes.

"How are you Milord?"

"Better. Well, I think. Sorry about your face. Where are we?"

"In the southern wastes. The Angels were running amok and you were delirious."

"So you ran for it, from the Angels?"

"Yes Milord." Monton looked down and waited for Tobin's reaction. Tobin couldn't blame him for running – he had terrifying memories of Demons, Monton called them Angels, and if they were a tenth accurate than Monton was sensible for running. However Tobin had a problem, Monton appeared to think Tobin was a Lord – and judging from his surcoat, a Churchleader. As far as he could tell this meant he was being mistaken for his enemy and if Monton was proved wrong he might just kill Tobin. He hardened his voice and said,

"You ran? When the Angels got scary you ran? What about our men?"

"They were decimated Milord, you were, well you went into a sort of coma, so I felt it best to get you away from there."

"And do you still think the best thing to do was to abandon our men to their fate? Is that what a good Captain does, Monton?"

"No Milord."

"No."

Tobin left a long pause and asked,

"In all this did you see where the Angels went?"

"Yes Milord, they mostly ran west, back towards Sangol and Paladire."

Tobin wasn't sure what to think, Churchblades had always been outwardly against Demons yet Monton called them Angels.

"How do you feel about the Angels, Captain?"

Monton did a bit of shuffling and dirt kicking and then said,

"Milord you have said they are going to save the world from the Demons."

"Do you think that's right, now you've seen them?"

Monton didn't answer, so Tobin said,

"How would you feel if told you I might have made a terrible mistake?"

"Milord, I can't answer that."

We need to head west."

"Right Sir, if there has been a mistake Sir ... do you know what to do?"

"Always Captain, I always know what to do."

Monton paused and stared into Tobin's eyes again,

"There was a moment back there Sir when I wasn't sure what was happening. You gave yourself that cut across your ribs – it was a little like in the first Cave, when the miracle happened and you took this form."

"Go on."

"Sir, do you remember anything about the Church or the Churchblades?"

"Let me ask you another question first Monton, tell me what you thought when I stabbed myself?"

There was another long hesitation and then Monton sighed and said,

"Very well Milord, I felt like you were out of control, you were shouting very strange things to the Angels, about ruling humanity and something about 'clansee'. Then the way they behaved... I nearly broke my arm, the men were wiped out and you were messing with that Angel – you stabbed yourself – it was all very confusing."