Chapter 3

So what now, I must ask myself that.

A wanderer, in the land of Faleria. A mere issue, that eventually will pass. For now I travel to find a purpose. Any will do, really.

As the weeks go by, my boredom increases. Yet onward I move, not caring. Admittedly, I was expecting something to happen or meet someone, but many a beast would be scared of me. Be it by scent or presence, the various beasts would scurry off, as far away from me. I find it slightly amusing at times. But not interesting.

So in my lonesome travel, I would create little illusions to simply pass time. Little animals playing or rushing in trees and grass, little birds flying and singing so melodiously that even mermaids would be silent long enough to listen. At least that is what I would believe. Every odd night I would create a bit more of an eerie atmosphere, creating pale apparitions of humans, as if silently tormented, unable to scream or cry out loud, as they were bound to smoky chains their wrists and ankles burning, burdened to walk in front of me, looking at the starry night, in despair. If anyone would see such a vision, they would feel a dreadful chill and rush off, to find a safe haven.

Eventually, I would arrive in a town one late night. I decided to hide myself for a couple of days. I learned that the town had a modest population and that the lord who governed was named Bastrox.

A man of great influence in Faleria, yet he did not prefer living in any Falerian City or Royal Capital. Many would call it peculiar but clearly he has personal reasons, as all men of great influence and power. So after a while, I decided to present myself to him.

He was surprised to know a vampire was still present in Faleria, even though he knew the Old Man left for quite some time. I explained I am a part of his Coven and very quickly he assumed a more respectful attitude toward me. I simply told him I was looking to find a temporary place to stay.

He was troubled at first, but I assured him, I’m not interested in causing trouble, let alone thirsty for any blood. Contrary to typical human paranoia, vampires may need blood to drink, but that was not an obligation to human blood. There are a few exceptions, but that’s a different story.

Eventually he acquiesced, with set conditions on his part of course. No surprise there. I’m actually satisfied that he did so. It would help set a foundation between us. In time, I would guarantee a satisfactory level of trust between us

He helped set me a place of my own. A small house deep in the woods, far away from the townsfolk, yet a direct route to the lord’s mansion, should we ever have need of talking in secret.

With this, I can say there’s a bit of progress. No matter how small. During the day, I would stay away from the town, named Banstra, while during the night, I would be allowed to wander through the night. It may sound boring, but I’ll find better purpose in time.

Banstra seems to be famous for its textiles. All manner of cloth are produced here, then transported to various locations across Faleria. A large portion of folk seem to live and work in the trade. From the smallest and simplest cloth to the most complex of fabrics.

In time I would receive from Lord Bastrox a variety of clothes, which I was very satisfied. Of course, for such fine reward, a fair exchange was expected from me. And I delivered.

Protection, a most demanding requirement for any business. I was simply required to ensure the repelling of bandits and beasts that ventured too close to the town. I trifle thing for me, but for the townsfolk, it’s most important that they not be concerned. And as long as I stayed in Banstra, none would live to escape my vigilance.