2: ellis

6 months had passed since the end of the world.

maeve and rose had been on the run ever since they got out the hospital.

the two became sisters when maeve's father married rose's sister. to maeve's knowledge though, her father and rose's mother had already been in a relationship a long time before maeve's mother died.

that's why she despised her father. rose was the only exception. although of course with enough manipulation by their father, rose grew distant from maeve.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

maeve was only 16 when she moved away from her father. it was only 2 weeks after the death of her mother and he had already taken in his new family to the house. she watched as the woman with curly red hair entered the house, she stood in the doorway of the kitchen as the woman place down her bags. the woman gave her a small smile but maeve greeted her with a raised eyebrow as she watched right behind her was her father with a baby. in his arms.

and everything just crashed down on her.

how could he just move on?

"is that... yours?" she bore her tear filled eyes into her father's eyes. she wanted to freak out right then and there.

she saw her mother's body, beaten and bruised all thanks to him. then she had to see her lifeless body in the morgue after the car crash, the bruises still there. now she watches as her father brings in the woman he had been seeing and their child and he just stood there, like nothing happened.

"mae," she flinched as her father called her the name her mom had always called her by. she knew what he was trying to do.

"fuck off." she scowled, the tears were already flowing down her cheeks.

"do you know-- did you know?" she stepped towards the woman, hell, the mistress in front of her who backed away slowly.

her father passed the baby to the woman, and stepped in front of maeve with his jaw clenched and his hands began to form into a fist. maeve stared at him dead in the eye, "go ahead. show your slutty fucking mistress who you really are."

"it's not ours, maeve. they were having a hard time and i stepped up to take care of them. have some goddamn respect." he spoke through gritted teeth. maeve broke out into a short burst of laughter at his demands.

"respect?" she laughed maniacally and turned back towards him, "father of the fucking year goes to you, mr. ellis. what about me, huh? what about having some respect for my mom, your wife!" she emphasized the title, nearly barking at the woman behind him.

"your mother was a drug addict, maeve! stop acting like she was your mother either, that woman loved getting high more than she loved you and i had to do whatever i did to snap her back into reality but she never did."

there was silence. there was truth.

"that's why she is where she is now. she couldn't give it up."

without second thought, maeve swung her fist towards her father's face, not caring about the consequences.

the world had already ended for maeve a couple times. it just kept rebuilding itself back up.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

rose and her sat across each other, both of them staring at the small bonfire in front of them. it was a little colder than usual, maeve threw her flannel to rose who sat with hands rubbing her arms.

"can i ask you something?" rose perked as she accepted the piece of clothing and wrapped it around herself. maeve hummed in response.

"why do you not hate me?" rose's blue eyes fell towards her feet, scared to look at maeve when she posed the question.