While I can

Split River High School, 1984

"Aurora!" Wally screams from the roof. That's the last sound I hear before I hit the ground, besides the "oh shits" from students. I hit the ground but got right back up, nothing happened. 

Hold on. Nothing happened? That was an over thirty-foot drop, what the fuck do you mean nothing happened? I feel fine, not even a damn headache. Am I seriously going that mad? 

Wally busts through the doors leading into the school but pauses when he sees me. True despair washes over this face. 

Well, if I can see him then I'm definitely still going crazy. He proceeds to rush over to me.

"Fuck Aurora, oh my god, I'm so sorry, I swear I didn't mean for this to happen to you, oh my god, what did I do?" He's sobbing hysterically, repeating the same phrases over and over; "I'm so sorry, what did I do, what did I do..." on, and on, and on. 

"I am losing my shit right now," I said, looking down at him. Even if it is some hallucination, seeing him like this absolutely breaks my heart. Even though I know nothing will happen, I reach down to grab his arm. Maybe this will wake me up.

I successfully grab his arm.

"What the fuck?!" I shouted, launching myself backward and tripping, falling on my ass.

"Aurora?" he calls out. 

What in the hell did I fall over? I look up, it's... me? 

"What the fuck?!" That's me? My fucking head is a mess, literally, blood everywhere. I start freaking out, I mean who wouldn't? 

"Fuck make it stop, make it stop, dear god, fuck make it stop." Well if there's one thing I definitely can't stop, it's these tears. 

"Shit, Aurora calm down, hold on a second." Wally regains his composure, somewhat, and crawls over to me, remaining on the grass.

"No, fuck, stay back, what the fuck is going on. I need help." 

Students have swarmed my body. Taking pictures and videos. Teachers are trying hard to pull them away, some students are calling home, and almost every teacher is on the phone with I assume the paramedics. 

Wally ignores me and cups my face with his hands. 

"Rory I need you to calm down." He's not completely calm either. I grab a hold of one of his wrists. I can touch him, I can feel him. I lunge for him, throwing myself on him for a hug. A very needed hug. I haven't felt him in a year. One whole year. He returns the hug and we just sit there, amidst the chaos. At this point, I don't care how much of a lunatic I may be, or how much his death has affected me to drive me to this point, this feels real. I needed this.

"God, I've missed you so much, Rory." He kisses the top of my head, but he doesn't let go. 

"What the fuck is going on?" I cry into his chest. 

"Shh, you're okay, you're okay I promise." He tries to calm me down but none of this is making any sense and I'm back to freaking out."

"I'm going crazy." I sob hysterically into his chest. 

"Hey, hey that's okay. This is normal, I promise." 

"None of this is normal. I shouldn't be seeing any of this. You, that." I point to my body next to us on the grass.

"Rory, are you aware of what's happening?" He pulls me away from him and stares me dead in the eyes. He's not crying and he doesn't look scared, he looks confused but in a stern way? God, does that even make sense? 

"I'm losing my fucking mind," I reply.

"Rory, you just died." 

"What...?"

"You're not going to be able to grasp that at first, and that happens, it's okay. But you just died. You fell from the roof of the school." I'm so lost, and scared, and confused. I don't know what I am. I just keep looking at him. "I know you're feeling a lot, I am here with you, for all of it." 

It all clicks. Suddenly I understand everything. But then I realize something.

"Oh my god. You've been here the whole time? You didn't get to graduate with us."

"Yes I did, I got a diploma and everything, I got to do everything, just in spirit. I was there. I got to watch you graduate and I was still alongside you, I'm happy with that."

I just grab and kiss him. No other words right now. I have my boyfriend back, my Wally. I don't care about anything else going on right now. I have him, let me enjoy this moment while I can.