Chapter 10

"So do you want to go tonight?" Carlos asked me.

"Uh, yeah sure. How fancy is is?" I asked.

"Pretty fancy." He told me. I nodded and went to the bathroom. As I showered, I thought about what to wear...

Once I finished, I wrapped a towel around me and walked into our bedroom.

"Hey, what color are you wearing?" Carlos asked me, straightening his suit jacket.

"I don't know, give me a second, sheesh." I said, going into the closest.

I looked over my clothes and finally decided on a red thigh length dress with black lace covering it, and black heels. I straightened my hair and parted it in the middle.

"Red!" I told him.

"Okay." He said, fishing a red tie out of many. "There, finally."

"Are we taking Evelyn?" I asked, helping him with his tie. He nodded.

"We can, it doesn't matter." Carlos said, putting on his shoes. I went into Evelyn's room and found her playing tea party with her dolls.

"Hey Ev, we're going to dinner. You need to get dressed." I said, kneeling down to her level.

"But, I'm not finished." She complained.

"Sorry sweetie, but we have to. I'll play with you when we get back. And I might even get Daddy to dress up." I whispered the last part with a laugh.

"Okay!" She squealed. I laughed and picked her up, carrying her to the closest.

"What should you wear?" I asked, looking through her clothes. I found a pink and yellow floral dress with a ribbon. "How about this?" I asked.

"Yes, that one is my favorite!" She told me. I laughed and set her down, grabbing it off the hanger.

I helped her into the dress and French braided her hair. Once we finished I brought her to the living room, where Carlos was sitting on the couch.

"Ready?" He asked. I shook my head.

"Let me get my phone." I said realizing I forgot it and my little bag. I went up stairs and found the bag on the dresser. It held my phone, wallet, gum, and chapstick.

I hurried downstairs, turning off lights on the way. "Okay, ready to go." I said, going over a mental checklist in my head.

"Okay." Carlos said, grabbing the keys. I picked up Evelyn and followed him out the door, locking it.

Once I knew it was locked, I buckled Evelyn into her seat and got into mine. We pulled out and started towards the way Carlos's boss's house is.

****

"Hello, my name is Landon." Carlos's boss, Landon, introduced himself.

"Hi, my name is Alex, and this is Evelyn." I replied politely to the man. Evelyn waved. She was set on my hip because I didn't want her to run away.

"Well hello, Evelyn, how old are you?" He asked, smiling.

"I'm 6 years old." She answered.

"Awesome." He said. "Do you want a juice box?" He asked.

"Yes please!" Evelyn said, smiling. He led us to the kitchen, and pulled one out of the fridge. Landon handed it to her.

"What do you say?" Carlos asked.

"Thank you!" She said. I smiled and adjusted her. I gestured for Carlos to come closer.

"Hey, I'm going to go to the bathroom. Where is it?" I whispered. He pointed.