Chapter 16

She was completely naked and though he knew she would be, he was still a bit shocked by it. She was absolutely beautiful and he felt his body react to her almost immediately. He kept his expression neutral. He felt a little guilty for looking at her body and immediately pulled the blankets up over her gorgeous body, giving her some privacy. He didn't want to though. She was absolute perfection.

She hadn't stopped staring at him and his eyes moved up to her beautiful hazel ones. Mate! He'd known before she'd shifted. Her amazing scent had called to him and his wolf, drawing them in and making him hyper fixated on her. He'd hated that he'd had to focus on other things for a bit but if that's what it took to keep her safe, then so be it. The tingles had confirmed it.

Once he had her body covered, he took more time to study what he could still see. She had long, thick brown hair that was probably close to waist length and full perfect lips. Her nose was small and she was just absolutely beautiful.

She was staring at him too, unable to tear her eyes away from him. He knew the feeling. He felt as though his entire existence had been rocked by her. She'd become the center of his entire focus. "What's your name?"

"A.. Abigail," she said softly.

Her voice was hoarse, as though she hadn't used it in a long time, but he still liked it.  He wondered how long she'd been in wolf form. It broke his heart. "Abigail is a beautiful name."

Her face lit up with a smile, warming his heart. "Thank you," she murmured.

"Abigail, how long have you been a rogue?" He asked her gently.

"What's a rogue?"

She had the most beautiful eyes, but her question was a bit shocking and he wondered if she had ever been in a pack. That thought broke his heart. "A rogue is a werewolf without a pack."

"I have a pack," she said, brushing her hair back from her face.

Matt frowned. She was most definitely a rogue. The scent of rogue was undeniable. "What's the name of your pack?"

Her forehead creased. "I don't know."

Matt gazed at her quietly. How did she not know what pack she was in? She was a complete mystery. "How long have you been on your own?"

"Three winters."

That she seemed to know. But it made his heart ache for her. She'd been on her own for so long. "As a wolf?"

She nodded.

She was lucky she hadn't lost her humanity. "Did you shift at all during those three years?"

"No."

Well in this case that might not have been a bad thing. Especially if she stayed around this area. Her wolf would keep her warm during the winter, and mostly protected from predators of the human type, who would just think she was a wolf. "Abigail, do you know what a mate is?"

"Soulmate?" she asked.

"Yes."

"Yes, I know what it is."

Her voice have grown a bit more confident the more she spoke. Matt loved it, loved listening to her speak. "Did your wolf tell you that I'm your mate?"

"Yes, she did." Her forehead wrinkled a bit, but she hadn't looked away from him.

"Do you know what that means?"

"You're my other half."

So she did know. He was a little surprised about that given that she didn't know what pack she was in. "As you're mate, I would never hurt you or harm you. I will always protect you. You have no reason to ever fear me. I need you to understand that."