Chapter 4

My skin clenches involuntarily as her voice cuts through the chatter of the hallway. "Hey Ella, come here. I want to talk to you." Oh, dear. The Heather Chandler of our school has noticed me. I make a mental note to keep my head down and continue walking, hoping to evade whatever confrontation she's brewing.

"Hey Ella, I just want to remind you that even though you got the lead role in the school play, you're still a little slut," Charlotte giggles, her voice dripping with malice. I meet her gaze with the coldest stare I can muster, suppressing the rising anger within me. "Why exactly am I a slut?" I retort, attempting to keep my composure.

"Please don't play dumb. I know you slept with Fern," she accuses, pushing me roughly against the lockers. My heart sinks at her words. "Well, that's the only person I've ever slept with, and that was back in tenth grade," I reply, feeling a pang of embarrassment.

Dina, Charlotte's best friend, casts me an apologetic glance, her eyes betraying her discomfort with the situation. Despite being on Charlotte's side, I can't help but appreciate Dina's kindness. I'm aware that her association with Charlotte stems from their families' business ties rather than genuine friendship.

Turning back to Charlotte, I summon my courage. "Well," I begin, my voice steady, "at least I'm not a bitch who slept with my supposed friend's boyfriend." The words hang in the air, and I can see the shock register on Dina's face while Charlotte's complexion pales considerably.

Without waiting for their response, I turn on my heel and walk away, my heart pounding in my chest. Despite Charlotte's ominous warning of regret, I feel a sense of empowerment wash over me.