Chapter 3: Rowena

New Haven. Friday, November 9, 2007.

Bollocks. Admitting that Rowena was his mum was every bit as painful as Crowley had expected. He would rather be mauled by ten werewolves than reveal his birthname and his connection to the witch.

"Don't be such a baby," Hagen chided. "We already agreed this had to be done. Far better to spit it out yourself. Otherwise Mum could wield the knowledge as a club, forcing one concession after another."

The little smudge was right, but if ever there was a time for wallowing, this was it. He'd gone over the arguments from every angle. By making the introductions, he would not only reassure the girls that Rowena could be trusted, at least on this matter, but he also retained his position of power. He'd succeeded in slithering into the Scoobies so smoothly that even Dean and Sam considered him to be the eccentric uncle of the family. And, okay, he liked the feeling when they relied upon him for help.

"Just look at Castiel," Hagen murmured. "He's so proud of you. Isn't that alone worth it?"

"Fergus told me about your predicament," Rowena said. "He knows that I'm the most powerful witch on Earth and the only one who can help you." She nodded at Castiel. "Against Thanatos, even an angel is powerless."

Rowena was smirking like a cat who'd just caught an oversized mouse. Crowley controlled his completely justifiable reaction to puke with difficulty. Her purrs resonated in his skull, making it hard to think.

"Help yourself to a scotch," Hagen advised. "That will make her easier to take."

Thanks, mate. They were meeting in the living room of the mansion. Crowley headed for the wet bar installed along one wall. His part was done, and frankly, he was as eager as the rest of them to hear what Rowena had to say. All he knew was that she claimed to know of a way to outfox Thanatos and that only women could manage it.

"Are you one of Astrena's sisters?" Chloe asked.

A natural assumption. The girls knew that Rowena was a witch in the seventeenth century. They were also aware that she'd helped Nikola Tesla. Crowley was eager to hear her answer. He'd avoided her ever since she abandoned him as a child. As to why she was still alive, he didn't have a clue. Astrena had never mentioned Rowena to him, but she didn't know about their connection.

"She wanted me to be a sister," Rowena said, sitting down next to Sara. "But once I heard how she conducted her business, I didn't want any part of it." She turned to Maia. "Fergus tells me you can't remember your life with Astrena. Is that true?"

Maia nodded. "I only know what others have told me about it."

"And you imagined even worse, I expect," Rowena said, her mouth drooping in hopefully genuine sympathy. "Thanatos courted me in the early twentieth century. That was when I discovered Astrena was consuming Nikola Tesla. Thanatos dispatched a demon to recruit me, and I ..." She paused to smile coyly. "A lass can never have too many friends in high—or low—places. I didn't work with Thanatos but I led him to think I might. Together we worked on a spell that enabled me to access Oblivion."

"You've been there?" Sara asked, her eyes widening.

"Aye, and only sometimes with his knowledge." Rowena paused to wince. "Until he banished me, that is. I'm no longer able to enter the realm but Fergus told me Chloe and Maia are powerful witches. If that's true, perhaps you can open the portal."

Chloe frowned. "I don't understand how getting to Oblivion will help us. Castiel said the men were placed in parallel worlds."

"This is why you wanted us to bring Charlie," Sara guessed.