Chapter One

It has been a few weeks since Carlos and T.K.'s engagement party and the day Charlotte and Avery decided to make their relationship official. Since Owen is at work, Avery has been spending the day reading and talking to Megan on the phone. Avery has been too engrossed in her book, she hasn't realised that Megan is packing a suitcase until she looks up to say something.

'Wait, why are you packing?' Avery asks, confused.

'I was wondering how long it would take for you to notice.' Megan chuckles.

'So?' Avery raises an eyebrow.

'I need to get out of Austin for a little bit, things are getting a bit too much for me to handle. So, I'm going to head to L.A. and stay with my dad. I don't know how long I'll be there but I think it will be good for me.' Megan explains.

'Well,' Avery sighs, 'at least you're telling someone and not running off like I've done.' She adds, causing them both to laugh. 'I'm glad you're taking time for yourself though.'

'If I decide to stay for, let's say, longer than like a month, you can come visit.' Megan tells her.

'I might do.' Avery nods. 'Does anyone know you're going?'

'Erm, T.K, Carlos and your dad.' Megan states.

'What about Jason?'

'I haven't thought of how to tell him yet.' Megan responds. 'I have a shift in about an hour, so I'll tell him after I finish. Carlos is picking me up at eight to take me to the airport. Anyways, what are you planning to do for the rest of the day?' Megan asks. 'Actually, let me guess, read?' She adds with a laugh.

'Actually,' Avery starts, matter of fact, 'Charlotte is coming over in about an hour. We're going to do some baking. I mentioned to Charlotte that I used to love baking back in L.A. but when I moved here I just didn't do it anymore, so she suggested we bake something together.'

'Re-wind, you bake?' Megan asks, surprised. 'Damn, girl, I'm learning something new about you all the time.' She chuckles.

'I lost a lot of myself after my mom died and I moved here and then obviously when I found out about everything. Also, my eating disorder kinda made me scared of baking but I've worked through that fear during therapy. The only thing I didn't drop was reading.' Avery replies. They're both silent for a few moments. 'Anyways, I gotta go get ready and make sure I have everything we'll need.'

'Coolio.' Megan nods.

'If we don't talk before you leave, you'll let me know you got there safely, right?'

'Of course.' Megan smiles. 'Bye, bitch.' She makes a peace sign.

'Bye, bitch.' Avery replies, making the same peace sign before they end the call. Avery closes her book and heads down to the kitchen to make sure she has everything she needs. Once she's satisfied she has everything, she heads up to her room to get ready. She gets changed into her Lucy and Yak sunflower dungarees, with a cream ribbed sweater underneath before brushing her hair and putting it up into a messy bun. By the time she's ready, she only has twenty minutes until Charlotte is due to arrive so she heads downstairs to wait. After fifteen minutes, there's a knock at the door. A grin spreads across Avery's face as she jumps up and runs to the door. She opens it and Charlotte steps into the house.

'Hi.' Charlotte smiles.

'Hey.' Avery smiles back. 'I made sure we have everything so we don't have to go to the store.'

'Cool.' Charlotte nods as they walk through to the kitchen. 'What kind of cake are we making?'

'I was thinking of funfetti?' Avery suggests. 'It was my favourite when I was a kid. We could also make a lemon drizzle.'