5 - A village

Our journey through the forest was easy after meeting the lady of the woods. No one interfered with our walk, but we could both feel eyes observing us through the woodlands and we were relieved when we saw the end of it.

"What ya think she meant?" my dwarven friend asked curiously as we had moved out of earsight of the creatures lurking in the enchanted forest. I realised the question had been bothering him for a while, but maybe he hadn't dared to ask when others could be listening.

"Honestly?" I sighed, "I have no idea." Her words echoed in my mind - the heir would change my life. That could mean a number of things really. If I was to help him in any way maybe he would give me a better paying job. Or if he didn't want to be found he might curse my name and my life would become even worse than it was now. It all depended on what kind of person he was. "Do we even know what he's doing for a living? How old is he?" I asked.

"No," Tom muttered. "The informant told me he's got dark curly hair, ice blue eyes and he is a magic wielder. That's the only thing I know."

"And he was last spotted in Kirmstown," I added while I reached for the map. "That's two days' travel from here."

I noticed how Tom peered back at the forest we'd left, a thoughtful expression on his face. "I'd rather not go back there on our way home," he sighed. "Whatever that lady wants from us, and the heir, it's no good."

I nodded in agreement, "we made a promise though, and breaking a promise to someone like that," I sighed and rubbed my forehead, "it will bring bad luck to us for the rest of our lives."

"Ya mean she'll bloody curse us," he grumbled and rearranged the axe on his back. "Better get moving lad, I'd like to sleep under a roof tonight." I gave him a nod, but knew this was going to be a long day. Ahead of us lay a vast landscape of marshlands with the occasional tree. The stinking muddy water entered our boots instantly as we left the forest floor and I could hear Tom's annoyed mutter behind me.

We walked in silence for hours until Tom stopped to light his pipe for the second time. While he needed a break I peered around the vast area of drenched bushes and scrubs. We hadn't moved as far as I had planned, I could still see the silhouette of The Enchanted forest behind us. I tried to hide my frustration because the mud was a challenge for my friend's short legs and his pace got slower for each step.

"At least there's nothing out here that wants to eat us," I chuckled and winked at my friend as he struggled to light the damp tobacco.

"I would shut my mouth if I was you," he muttered. "Haven't ya heard the stories? The marsh comes to life at night." His eyes met mine and they looked as serious as ever. "Ghosts and spirits dancing in the mist, luring travellers to drown in the shallow waters."

I chuckled, "I never took you for a superstitious person Tom."

He rolled his eyes and walked past me. "As I said, I want a roof over me head tonight, so let's keep walking."

And so we did. In silence and undisturbed. We walked until the sun had set, the darkness of the marsh playing with our imagination, and we both felt instant relief as we eventually could see a faint light of a town at the horizon - and it spurred us to move faster. Half way there the marsh turned into more solid ground and our steps became even quicker. The lights felt inviting, but the high wooden wall surrounding the town told me that they might not be as welcoming as I hoped.

As soon as we moved closer, I asked Frank to hide in my bag and gave Tom a onceover. "If you want to sleep indoors you need to behave," I told him with a scowl, to which he only gruffed.

The gate of the village was open, but as soon as we closed in on it we could see two guards approaching. Their eyes examined us and I felt my back straightening. "State your business here," one of the towering men called out.