Party Disaster

WARNING:
-Slightly graphic descriptions of making-out
-Insinuating third base

* * *

"Are you okay?"

I look up from my phone to see Mattheo looking down at me worriedly.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine."

Mattheo gives me a skeptical look. He sits down beside me and positions himself so he's facing me.

"What's wrong, Sophie?"

I blush slightly at the sound of my name coming out of his mouth. He always says it slowly like my name is something breakable.

"It's just...Tyler left. I caught him kissing Ava and everything kind of exploded after that."

Once I started, I couldn't stop. I told Mattheo everything, from when Tyler and I arrived at the party to when we had our fight. I started crying at some point and Mattheo put his arm around my shoulders.

"And then he left. He...left me." I finish.

Mattheo kneels in front of me and gently wipes my tears away. His hands rest on my face, cradling my cheeks in his palms.

"Why would he leave me? I'm not overreacting when he was the one ch-cheating and then he just leaves me? I don-mmph!"

The sudden contact shocks me but I recover and kiss him back. Our lips move in sync and I can sense that they were meant to be together. Mattheo's tongue pushes against my lips, making them part.

Our tongues swirl around each other as our hands start moving. Mattheo's move from my cheeks to my waist and mine move to his hair. My fingers play with the hair at the nape of his neck.

My phone clatters to the ground and I flinch, pulling back slightly. Mattheo subconsciously leans forward, trying to keep contact with my lips.

"Mattheo."

His eyes close for a second at the sound of my voice. When he opens his eyes, a shocking emotion fills them. Love.

"I've wanted to do that for a long time."

My eyes widen and I shake my head slightly. "You what?"

Mattheo tilts his head to the side in confusion. "I've wanted to kiss you for a long time." His expression changes and hurt flashes in his eyes. "Do you...do you not want to kiss me?"

"No, no, no. I have, I'm just surprised that you would want to kiss me."

Mattheo's face softens. "Why not? You're perfect."

I blush and look away. Mattheo stands up, my phone in his hand. He reaches for my hand and I let him take it. He smiles and pulls me to my feet.

"C'mon. Let's get out of here."

Mattheo pulls me toward the exit and I relish the feeling of his hand in mine. After a few minutes of walking, I realized I'm going somewhere unfamiliar with a partial stranger.

"Mattheo."

No response.

"Mattheo!"

Still no response.

"Theo."

He stops abruptly and turns to face me. His eyes search mine and I try to make them show how confused I am instead of how much I want to leave with him.

"You've never called me that before."

I look away. "Well, I needed to get your attention, so...anyway," I turn back to him, "where are we going?"

Mattheo stares into my eyes again and I swear I see a number of thoughts and emotions flash in his eyes.

"My place."

Woah.

I take a step back and my hand falls from his. I search his eyes, trying to see if he's serious. Panic and disappointment flash across his face before being replaced with remorse.

"I, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I just...I really like you and I think we should go somewhere more private and talk about this."

"Um, okay."

Mattheo takes a tentative step toward me and places a sweet kiss on my lips. I know in this moment that I am hopelessly and deeply in love with him. I know I will always be his and maybe, just maybe, he'll always be mine.

* * *

Mattheo pulls me into his apartment and closes the door behind us. Almost immediately, he gently pushes me against the door and kisses me slowly. After a moment, I push him back.

"I think I've loved you since the day I met you." Mattheo says, staring deeply into my eyes.

"I think I have too."

We stare at each other for a few moments until I break the eye contact.

"But..."

"But?" Mattheo presses.

"I'm with Tyler. I can't cheat on him." Mattheo arches an eyebrow. "Well, more than I already have."

Mattheo frowns and steps away. After a moment of thinking, he turns back to me.

"You told me how he treated you tonight after you caught him cheating on you. He was trying to gaslight you into thinking you were the one in the wrong. How could you stay with him after all that?

I look away. "I, I don't know. For as long as I can remember, it's always been 'Sophie, you and Tyler would be so good together,' and 'Sophie, isn't Tyler the greatest?'"

I walk farther into the room and sit down on the couch. Mattheo follows me quietly.

"Everyone has always wanted me and Tyler to be together even though we don't really want to. I went along with it because my mother wanted me to. Tyler always had some feelings for me, but I guess not anymore. I thought that's what would make me happy and that was all I needed. But lately, I've realized I don't want that. I want to live my own life and not have other people dictate it."

I stand up and start pacing the room, deep in thought. Confident, I turn back to him.

"His actions tonight confirmed my worst fear and at the same time, gave me a way out."

I pull out my phone and open the text chain with Tyler. I type out the message and send it before I can change my mind.

We're done.

I hesitate to see if he'll reply, but no floating bubble appear. I put my phone back in my purse, drop it on a nearby table, and collapse on the couch next to Mattheo.

"Well, I'm officially single." I say, looking over at Mattheo.

His mouth turns up in a small smile as he faces away from me. It's almost like he's smiling to himself more than me. Suddenly his smile shifts into a smirk and he turns to me.

"Excellent."

I look up into his eyes and immediately notice how dark they have become. I gulp as he moves closer and involuntarily lean backward.

"What are you doing?"

"Something I've wanted to do for a very long time."

With that simple sentence, Mattheo leans in and kisses me. The kiss is soft and slow to start, but soon turns harsher and faster. He wraps one arm around my back and leans forward, pushing me back on the couch. He uses his other arm to hold himself above me.

This occurs all without Mattheo breaking the contact between our lips. He makes his way down from my lips to my jaw, to my neck. He places harsh kisses on my neck, kissing, sucking, and soothing. The sensations overwhelm me and I get lost in the satisfying feeling. Before I know it, he's back to kissing my lips.

"Let's go to my room."

Mattheo picks me up bridal-style and carries me into his room.