7

**ADELINA**

I close my eyes for two hours but sleep doesn't visit me tonight. I check the time. It's one in the morning, and I can't hear anything, so I grab my phone and walk out into the hallway.

I go to the kitchen and grab a glass from a cupboard. I fill it with water, and when I turn around I jump. My father is standing there.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." He says, his voice taking on a more tired, more gentle tone. "What are you doing up?"

     "I slept too much earlier."

     "Oh." He responds. He glances at the cupboard. "Do you want hot chocolate instead? It might help you sleep."

     "It probably won't." I whisper.

     "Oh." He repeats. "Alright." He says. "Is there anything else that might help you?"

     I shake my head. "No. Am I allowed to take this to my room?" I ask.

     He nods shortly. I turn around and walk out, to my bedroom again. Everything feels wrong. This house, these people, they all feel so wrong.

When I get to my room I put the glass on my bedside table and sit down on the bed. Maybe Layla was right; I'm not meant to be here. They'll get rid of me soon, just like everyone always has.

I'm just a ratty foster kid.

**NOAH**

I get into bed beside my wife. She opens her eyes and smiles up at me. "What time is it?"

"One." I tell her. She leans forward and folds her arm over my waist. I set my hand on her back. "Adelina was in the kitchen."

"She's still up?" She asks.

"She couldn't sleep."

She opens her eyes again and frowns as she looks up at me. Guilt swirls in her expression. "I should've just woken her up."

"You didn't know." I whisper.

     She sighs and falls back asleep again. So do I.

**

I knock on Adelina's door, but there's no answer. Carefully I open it, sliding it open quietly. She's in the bed, at the very edge of it beside the wall, like she's afraid to mess the rest of the sheets up.

     "Adelina." I say.

     She doesn't move.

     "Adelina." I repeat, louder. She stirs but still doesn't wake up. I walk over and carefully set my hand on her arm, "Adelina."

     She startles awake, and I back away from her. She frowns as she looks at me.

     "I'm sorry." I say. "I just came to wake you up."

     She wraps her arms around herself.

     "Do you still wanna go shopping?" I ask her.