Chapter 9: Ava's Desperation

The next morning, I woke up with a smile on my face, still basking in the glow of the wonderful evening I had with Dylan. The sun streamed through my window, casting a warm light across my room.

I couldn't wait to see Dylan again, but as I lay there, a twinge of unease crept into my thoughts. I hadn't told Dad about Dylan yet. With everything that had been going on, it had slipped my mind in the excitement of it all.

Pushing the worry aside, I got ready for the day, humming to myself as I went about my morning routine. But as I made my way downstairs for breakfast, I could sense an underlying tension in the air.

Dad was already at the kitchen table, a serious expression on his face as he read the morning paper. I tried to ignore the knot forming in my stomach as I sat down opposite him.

"Morning, Dad," I said, trying to sound cheerful.

He looked up from the paper, his eyes narrowing slightly as they landed on me. "Morning, Ava. Sit down, we need to talk."

My heart sank as I felt a sense of dread settle over me. I knew what was coming, and I had no idea how to explain the situation with Dylan.

"Is everything okay, Dad?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady.

He folded the newspaper and placed it on the table, his gaze piercing. "Ava, I heard from Serena that you were out late last night. Care to explain where you were?"

I swallowed hard, feeling the weight of his disappointment. "I...I was out with Dylan."

His eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Dylan? And who, may I ask, is Dylan?"

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, trying to find the right words. "He's...he's a guy from school. We went out to dinner and...things just kind of happened."

"Things just kind of happened?" Dad repeated, his voice rising slightly. "Ava, you know the rules. You're not supposed to be dating anyone without my permission."

"I know, Dad, I'm sorry," I said, feeling a lump forming in my throat. "I just...I really like him and..."

"You really like him?" Dad interrupted, his voice stern. "Ava, you're not even eighteen yet. You're too young to be getting involved in this kind of stuff."

Tears welled up in my eyes as I tried to explain. "But Dad, I really care about him. He's not like anyone else I've ever met. I didn't mean to break the rules, it just...it felt right."

Dad's expression softened slightly as he saw the tears in my eyes. "Ava, I understand that you have feelings for this boy, but you have to understand that your safety is my top priority. The world we live in is dangerous, especially with our connections to the mafia. I need to know who you're with and where you are at all times."

"I know, Dad, I'm sorry," I said, wiping away the tears. "I'll be more careful from now on, I promise."

Dad sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I want you to promise me that you'll be honest with me from now on. No more secrets, okay?"

I nodded, feeling a sense of relief wash over me. "I promise, Dad. I'll tell you everything."

He gave me a small smile, reaching across the table to squeeze my hand. "I just want you to be safe, Ava. You mean everything to me."

Tears of gratitude welled up in my eyes as I leaned across the table to hug him. "I love you, Dad."

"I love you too, Ava," he replied, wrapping his arms around me.

As we sat there, I couldn't help but feel grateful for Dad's understanding. I knew I had made a mistake, but I also knew that I had his support no matter what.

And as we finished breakfast together, I made a silent vow to always be honest with him, no matter what the future held