Lucy Maud Montgomery: Toy

"Filthy brat!" The orphanage worker cries.
I huddle on the floor, gripping the doll I fashioned out of old scraps, appropriately called Scrap.
It's not my best work, since it was my first try at making my own things. And yes, I know that it's not what the original Lucy would have done (well...maybe). But I'm allowed to try and find happiness.
The orphanage worker matches across the floor and snatches Scrap from my still-tiny hands. "What is this? Have you decided to steal from one of the other children?"
"N-no. I made it! It's mine!" I whimper, my voice still that of a child's.
This could go two ways now: either she thinks I'm lying or she thinks I'm demon spawn for trying to make myself what others won't give me.
Her face contorts in anger. "So the scraps are yours then? What about the others?"
"What about them?" I say weakly. It's a horrible comeback, but I'm out of ideas.
Not like when I'm making a doll.
That comeback earned me my third punishment this week.
I blink. Usually I don't let myself get trapped in memories.
Someone drops a blanket on my shoulder. I look up, finding myself hoping it's someone else.
Don't be stupid, you're in Anne's room.
So of course it's Anne, smiling at me with that smile I used to find creepy.
I yawn, huddling in my blanket. Outside Anne's room, it's raining. I'm waiting here for it to stop.
I sigh, kicking with my feet. Man, this is boring.