Chapter 23

In a dramatic turn of events, slow claps resonate throughout the home, and a visibly angry and distraught Khushi strides into the hall. She's tightly holding onto Arnav's hand, who stands beside her with a determined expression. Behind them, a group of police officers smirks, each holding a pair of handcuffs, ready to enforce the law.

Fueled by rage, Shashi attempts to lash out at Garima, but Arnav, acting swiftly, steps in between them, forcefully pushing Shashi back. The confrontation escalates as Shashi, determined to have the last word, tries to speak up, but Arnav with anger speaks up

Arnav - That's enough. Not another word from you.

Shashi, realizing the gravity of the situation, follows the gaze, his plans unravelling before him. His face contorted with a mix of rage and disbelief as the officers approached, poised to restrain him with handcuffs. The atmosphere crackles with tension as justice begins to unfold.

The officers sternly declare, "You are under arrest for the murder of Maya. Anything you say will be used against you in court."

Shashi, displaying a twisted smirk, retorts, "Oh, I will get out fine from this hell. Watch me be released from prison within 24 hours." His gaze then shifts to Garima, and he adds, "After that, I will deal with you and this witch," staring menacingly at Khushi. "It's due to you that my life is like this. I wish I never had a child. Even if you were adopted, you should have thanked me for such a great lifestyle, but here you are. Not even thankful, ready to go against me for your so-called husband, who legit had no trust in you, was ready to make your life hell."

Khushi, fueled by anger, responds defiantly, "Why should I thank you? What have you done for me besides adopting me? I was never fed properly, never loved, nor respected. So tell me, what should I thank you for? Despite being so 'rich,' I was poor. I never got what I actually wanted. Money isn't everything, and I have said this to you before. As for my husband, if it weren't for your help, then we wouldn't even have any misunderstandings. You are the cause of my misfortune. I hope you rot in hell. Don't worry though, I will take over your business and show you what I am capable of. I will also make sure you won't leave prison because all this conversation, even your confession, has been live to the public and on the news channel. Not a single person will set you free now."

The room echoes with the weight of her determination as the truth unfolds before them.

Shashi futilely struggles to break free from the tight grip of the police officers as they drag him towards the exit. His last defiant words echo through the hall, "I will come back."

As Shashi is ushered away, Khushi, overwhelmed by the weight of the moment, rushes to embrace Arnav. They share a silent understanding, knowing that no words can ease the pain each of them carries. While Khushi mourns the loss of her best friend, Arnav grapples with the realisation that he has lost his first love.

In the aftermath, Garima quietly exits the scene, with Harish and Kirti following her, leaving behind a sombre atmosphere laden with the echoes of a broken past and the anticipation of a challenging future.

Next Day

Khushi's POV

Arnav has been unusually quiet since the revelation. I assume he's still trying to process everything. Although I want to show understanding of the situation, I can't help but wonder: Was he serious about the confession? Does he genuinely have feelings for me, or is Maya still the prevailing presence in his heart? Am I just a rebound in his life? The weight of these questions hangs in the air, but in the current heavy atmosphere, I hesitate to ask him directly.

Arnav (shaking me) - Khushi!

I stare at him with utmost confusion, then stare at the water dropping from the jug to the floor. Oh no!