Chapter -2

Present

My mother used to tell me all kinds of stories like how this world has many realms with different timelines. That they're all kinds of creatures living in this world but in different realms.  At that time my world was full of possibilities and imagination. Everything that came out of her mouth for truth for me. I remembered creating a make believe portal from my mother's favorite antique mirror with my brother and him after looking at an ancient text from my father's library. Needless to say, we were never allowed in the library ever gain. Everything and everyone was perfect in my world back then. Where did it all went wrong?

I have been in Dormeadow for about nine months now and I've never seen this many humans before. The market is bustling with them. Somehow it feels more livelier now. What is going on. Something has changed, something big in the world, which I'm unaware about. I need to know about this change desperately. I hope that it's not related to me at all. This village is very isolated and cut off from rest of the world that is why this comes as a shock. 

I look around the market, there are so many options today. I feel a little giddy inside. 'I could use some new clothes' I think looking down at my old worn out dress. These immigrants, they must be traders before deciding to move. Well it's a good thing as long as long as they're not wolves. Still it must have been very hard for them to leave their homes, a place where they spend more than half of their lives. Like me.

Some of the women looks so out of place here. Eying their clothes I can tell that its expensive, gold embroidery, they must have been quiet well to do in the city. Seeing their miserable expressions, I can almost feel their pain, this place really comes quiet as a shock. When I first came to Dormeadow, I couldn't believe how primitive it was. It's like the world was hundred years ahead of this place. There are no telephones, no motor cars and only about forty-fifty houses. They still call their bars as tavern and hotels as inns. And after half past eight I can't smell a single damn human being. I guess that is why I thought this pace would be perfect for me.

I see young girls and boys, travelling in groups, laughing playfully at something. Thyra would have been their age if she was still alive. She would have had many friends. 

"Would you like to try it. I made it myself. They are the best quality cheese in the market" the woman says proudly and I nearly roll my eyes at her. Yeah.. right, everybody seems to have the best quality in the market. I took the offered piece from her hand. It's so small, what a cheapass but it does smell good. The piece was so small that it didn't even take me two bites to finish it. Goddess, its so delicious that I almost moan. Almost. I haven't tasted a cheese this good in a very long time.

"So... how was it, do you like it. Would you like to buy it?" the woman fired while still wearing that proud expression. "It's fine. I've had better" I said looking around the price tag on display. One thing I've mastered since leaving Blackmoon is the art of bargaining. "All these cheese were made in Brackenridge. We have a farm there. You won't find anything like that in here" she huffs offendedly. Brackenridge...small but beautiful. "I am not saying its bad. Its just I've had better at this price. Also.. look around you, do you really think people will spend that kind of money on cheese. This isn't the city" I turned around without waiting for her reply.

Oh she will be selling me that cheese in the evening may be I'll get some meat and fresh bread too. I haven't cooked in weeks, always eating leftovers from tavern. I don't seem to have much appetite these days.

"Can you believe this is happening" Seefa sneaks up behind me, startling me. I didn't expect to see her here. We've never met after the working hours which makes me think how little I know about the people around me. Where does she even live?