Chapter 2: Marriage

Chapter 2: Marriage

Azura and Lillie were coming home with their father from their playgroup at the hybrid kindergarten. Back then, the place served as a sanctuary for the unwanted hybrid children since most schools could only accept pureblooded animals, whether they were carnivore or herbivore.

The kindergarten was run by a young female gazelle who loves the hybrid children as if they were her own. Despite being understaff, she tried to do her best to make the children happy and safe. Some of them were very rambunctious if they inherited traits from their carnivore parent.

 Azura had most of the traits of a bat except for her cottontail and cute button nose that were clearly from her mother's side. She had the most beautiful striped colours of black and white while her left eye was blue while her right eye was green.

Lillie on the other hand, had tortoiseshell-coloured fur with most of her rabbit traits and had her green eyes. Only difference was her tail, which was long and hairless like a bat's. Whenever they go out, Mizuchi would always make her wear a tail garb that resembled a rabbit's cottontail.

"Come on, Lillie!" Azura urged her sister. "Let's see who gets to gets to ride on dad's back!"

"I wanna ride on dad's back!" Lillie squeaked. "It's my turn now!"

After a few protests, Azura finally caved in to allow her sister to have a go. The reason why the love to ride on Arthur's back was because they could see the whole city view from above. Arthur nuzzled his eldest daughter's cheek.

"Cheer up, poppet," Arthur soothed her. "There's a trick I want to show you. How would you like to use your clicks?"

Azura's eyes sparkled, knowing that this was something she was waiting for. All bats learn how to use their clicks at her age but since she was a hybrid, she and her sister had heard things that were far away.

For instance, as Azura was bundled up in a carrier that was strapped on her father's chest while Lillie was on his back; the three of them could hear a squawking sound coming from the horizon. Probably two parrots having a squabble.

...

Flying high in the sky, Azura was stretching out her wings from her strap. She lets the wind blew past her and gave a few experimental flaps. As much as she wanted to ride on Arthur's back, the black and white hybrid was enjoying herself.

"Dad," Azura called from below.

"Yes, love?"

"In class, Kiki said that her uncle is getting married. Is that what you and mommy do?" 

There was silence but Arthur laughed, "Yes, love. Your mother and I marry because we love each other. From that strong bond, we have you and Lillie."

Lillie lets out a few chirps. Whether she was happy that her father and mother got married, or the fact that she was seeing the view of the city from the best seat. Azura smiled, enjoying the breeze while also asking her father with some more questions.

"Dad?"

"Yes, Azura?"

"How did you meet mommy?"

Arthur flew to a nearby building so that he could hang upside down. Both Azura and Lillie were fine since they both have the bat gene to not feel woozy when upside down. With that, Arthur gathered both of his children in his wings to tell his tale.

"Your mother and I met at the same school called Cherryton. I was a new student and I accidentally stepped onto her foot. She wasn't too happy with that and scratched the side of my face."