Epilogue

OLDEN CROWN
━━ epilogue

━━ THE NEXT MORNING, Percy, Frank, Abilene, and Hazel ate breakfast early, then headed into the city before the senate was due to convene. As Percy was a praetor now, he could go pretty much wherever he wanted, whenever he wanted.

               On the way, they passed the stables, where Tyson and Mrs. O'Leary were sleeping in. Tyson snored on a bed of hay next to the unicorns, a blissful look on his face like he was dreaming of ponies. ( And if Percy knew his brotherwhich he doesthen Tyson probably was dreaming of ponies. ) Mrs. O'Leary had rolled on her back and covered her ears with her paws to block out the sound of the snores, and after sharing a cabin with the Cyclops, Percy understood Mrs. O'Leary's pain. On the stable roof, Ella roosted in a pile of old Roman scrolls with her head tucked under her red wings.

               When the four got to the forum, they sat by the fountains and watched the sun come up. The citizens were already busy sweeping up cupcake simulations, confetti, and party hats from last night's celebration. The engineer corps was working on a new arch that would commemorate the victory over Polybotes. Hazel said she had even heard talk of a formal triumph for the four of thema parade around the city followed by a week of games and celebrationsbut Percy knew they'd never get the chance. They didn't have time.

               Percy told them about his dream of Junohow he had carried the goddess back over the Little Tiber, how Juno said everything must be timed perfectly if they wanted a chance at stopping Gaea, and how Jason and Percy both needed to earn the trust of the camps they were sent to.

               "Jason was sent to your old camp," Abilene said. "Camp Half-Blood. While you were sent here, Camp Jupiter."

               Percy nodded. "Jason needed to learn to trust the Greeks, and they needed time to build this Argo II. And she said my loyalty would be what would unite the nine heroes."

               "That sounds like a good thing," noted Frank.

               Percy gritted his teeth. "Yeah, well, hearing it from Juno didn't make it sound kind." He went on to explain that the "Heroes of Olympus" must unite, and that Jupiter's self-esteem was wounded so bad he wasn't willing to help make headways to stop Gaea with the aid of half-bloods. Jupiter ( Zeus, whatever ) was sure that the gods could deal with the giants and Gaea without demigods, but Juno ( Hera, but no matter what name used, she was still a pain in Percy's ass ) thought her husband was wrong.

               "Juno insists the only way we'll convince her husband is by sailing to the ancient lands and closing the Doors of Death." Percy's shoulders slumped, and he rubbed the back of his neck. "She mentioned Annabeth and ... Elisa, too. Said they would have tasks ahead of them." His jaw clenched, remembering the almost amused tone Juno had as she told him. "Said that Elisa would be 'tested like never before'."

               The others all shared glances. Hazel pursed her lips. "The gods ..." she started. "I guess they were busy last night, then. Frank, show him."

               Frank reached into his coat pocket. Percy thought he might bring out his piece of firewood, but instead, he produced a thin paperback book and a note on red stationery. "These were on my pillow this morning." He passed them to Percy. "Like the Tooth Fairy visited."

               The book was The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Percy had never heard of it, but he could guess who sent it. The letter read: Good job, kid. A real man's best weapon is his mind. This was your mom's favorite book. Give it a read. P.S.I hope your friend Percy has learned some respect for me.