A Reencounter

AUTHOR ON

Senate Building, Coruscant

The Chancellor's office was a red-lined cave dominated by an arch of windows overlooking the towers of Coruscant. Chancellor Palpatine sat with his back to the view, facing the four Jedi Advisors seated before his desk: Grand Master Yoda, Master Windu, Ki-Adi-Mundi, and Plo Koon. Behind them were Masters Kit Fisto, Luminara Unduli, and her Padawan Apprentice, Barriss Offee.

Anyone who wanted to get to the Chancellor now would have a hard time.

The Chancellor looked pale and tired and his voice was troubled.

Palpatine: I don't know how much longer I can postpone the vote, my friends. More and more systems join the Separatists.

Windu: If they leave the Republic...

He began, but was interrupted, strangely abruptly, by the Chancellor.

Palpatine: I will not allow this Republic that has existed for thousands of years to be divided in two. My negotiations will not fail.

He declared.

Windu continued his statement.

Windu: If you fail, know that there will not be enough Jedi to protect the Republic. We are guardians of peace, not soldiers.

This caused the Chancellor to reflect on what he said before turning to Yoda.

Palpatine: Master Yoda... do you think we are heading towards war?

He asked terribly. The ancient Yoda closed his eyes before speaking.

Yoda: The Dark Side obscures everything. Impossible to see, the future is.

Whatever Palpatine may have said in response was cut off by the hologram of a maid materializing on his desk:

Maid: The Loyalist Committee has just arrived, Mr. Chancellor.

Palpatine: Great. Get them in.

The door opened, showing the former Queen of Naboo, now Senator of Naboo, Padmé Amidala. She enters with the Naboo delegation and several other senators behind her.

Palpatine: We will discuss this question later.

He spoke, standing up. Yoda and Mace Windu go to greet the Senator of Naboo.

Yoda: Senator Amidala... your tragedy on the launch pad... Terrible. Seeing her safe, my heart rejoices.

He spoke with gratitude.

Padmé: Do you have any idea who planned this attack?

She asked the former Jedi. Master Windu replied.

Windu: Our investigation points to disgruntled miners from the moons of Naboo.

Padmé: Wasn't Count Dooku behind this?

She asked him, not believing his investigation.

Ki-Adi-Mundi: He is a political idealist, not a murderer.

He stated as he stood alongside the other Jedi in the room.

Windu: In case you didn't know, Count Dooku was once a Jedi. He wouldn't murder someone. It's not in your nature.

He assured her.

Yoda: But surely, Senator... you are in great danger.

He told her, causing the woman to give a small smile.

Palpatine: Master Jedi, I suggest that the Senator be protected by her virtuous Knights.

He spoke as he walked away from the window overlooking the capital.

Bail: Do you believe it is a decision to be made in these troubled times?

Questioned the Senator of Alderaan, Bail Organa. The young Senator from Naboo responded against this.

Padmé: Chancellor, if I may comment, I don't think...

Palpatine: Tthe situation is so serious? No, but I think so, Senator.

He spoke with a grandfatherly smile with a hint of authority.

Palpatine: I fully understand that additional security may be a nuisance to you. But... if it's someone you're familiar with. An old friend like... Master Kenobi.

Windu: It's possible. He has just returned from a border dispute in Ansion.

He said, causing the Chancellor to maintain his smile.

Palpatine: Do this for me Milady, will you? Imagining losing her... is unbearable.

Windu: I will ask Obi-Wan to come immediately, Milady.

Padmé: Thank you, Master Windu. But I already asked someone for help.

She said, catching everyone's interest.

Palpatine: Forgive me, Senator, but who is better than a Jedi Master to protect you?

He asked.

???: A Mandalorian, perhaps?

A voice spoke from behind the group. Drawing everyone's attention to a group of Mandalorians. With one of them standing out for having a garment similar to that of a Jedi over his armor.

 With one of them standing out for having a garment similar to that of a Jedi over his armor

Padmé: Turo!

She said, walking up to him with a big smile on her face.

Turo: Senator.

He said back to her, making her laugh and hug him, where he hugged her back.

Turo looked into the crowd and saw Bail Organa. He walked over to him.

Turo: Bail.

He said, shaking Bail's hand.

Turo: How is Breha? Still running Alderaan for you?

He asked, making him chuckle and nod.

Bail: Yes, you know me very well.

He said, making Turo laugh.

Mace Windu, seeing the group of Mandalorians, stepped forward.

Windu: Mandalorians, what are you doing here?

Turo: Answering a friend's call for help.

He responds, then his tone of voice changes, becoming noticeably more serious.

Turo: But I also came to talk to the Jedi Council about a former member of your Order. Count Dooku.