Chapter 12

Xander's shaking hands clung tightly to Jasper's still one as he tried to get his breathing in control. He knew the Villain knew of his childhood, but he had thought it was just some super intense stalking. He didn't know they knew his name. There was only one person in the world that knew his name, and they were dead. Gone. He'd left them ,and he'd have to live with that guilt forever.

Alexander. That was his name, but nobody knew. He went by Xander now. Alex was gone. He wasn't Alex anymore, and he never would be. Not since-

"Xander?" Came Jasper's quiet voice. Xander looked up to see Jasper looking at him with concern and what he hoped was not pity, and Carter looking at him with wide eyes. He quickly looked away, not wanting to be around people during such a vulnerable moment. Seeming to sense this Jasper stood up and tugged Carter out of the room by his sleeve.

Xander couldn't hear their conversation, or maybe he just wasn't listening. But, soon enough he heard the front door open and close as Carter presumably left and Jasper walked back into the room. He didn't say anything at first, instead just sat on the side of the bed where he had been sat before. Xander fiddled with the bedsheet in his lap, pointedly avoiding looking up at Jasper. He could feel Jasper's intense stare though, and it wasn't long before he spoke up.

"Xander? Are- are you alright?" Came Jasper's voice, unsure and yet purposeful. He sounded genuinely concerned. Xander nodded in  reply, still not looking up form the strings he was pulling from the fraying corners of the bedsheet. The whole thing was unravelling, he observed. It probable needed replacing some time soon. Come to think of it, he didn't even know how long they'd had it for. A long time, he could tell that much.

"Don't give me that bullshit." Jasper's voice cut through the air, and Xander made the mistake of looking up at him in surprise. He'd never heard Jasper swear before, he was usually more light hearted about things.

Jasper's brown eyes glared at Xander from beneath his unruly curls. His face didn't look as soft, when he was mad. It looked more- well. Xander supposed 'hot' was one word for it, though it wasn't the word he would prefer to go for.  And it certainly wasn't something he would ever state out loud.

"You've been acting even more strange than usual this week. Please, just tell me what's wrong. Carter's not here, he's gone home, and it's not like I have any other friends to tell." Jasper let out a self deprecating laugh, and Xander felt guilt run through him. Was Jasper that lonely? How had he never noticed?

He felt Jasper shift closer to him and the sheets rustled. A finger brushed delicately against his hand and he abruptly pulled away, feeling immediately bad for it when he saw the the hurt on Jasper's face afterwards. Jasper's words ran through his head and, with a sigh, he gave in. Fine.

"So, it all started when.."