Chapter 2

Jeremy Winston—the fourth and final member of the house next door to Cade, Alec, Zion, and Vincent calls out to his housemate, Ryland upon discovering his peanut butter crackers have vanished from his room.

Ryland slowly trudges out of Jay's room, showing no regard for Jeremy's concern, and heads downstairs where he finds the blond-haired boy waiting on the couch. Jeremy spins around, his bangs covering his eyes, and he flicks them out of the way.

"They're gone," he says. "My peanut butter crackers."

Ryland raises an eyebrow. "Are you assuming I took them?"

"I know you did," he replies.

Ryland grins and places a hand on Jeremy's shoulder before he plops down beside the shaggy boy.

"It was Mandy."

Mandy whips around, her mouth dropping open at Ryland's revelation.

"I would never go into Jeremy's room," she says, astonished. "Who knows what's in there?"

"Apparently, you do," Ryland says, a grin plastered across his face.

Mandy's hand moves in her pocket, the sound of a wrapper crinkling upon the touch, and she stills.

"Hmm?" Ryland says, nodding in Mandy's direction. "Pull it out."

Jeremy snickers at the comment and glances over at Mandy who purses her lips together.

"I was going to buy you more," she mutters before turning to Ryland. "Quit keeping tabs on my whereabouts, weirdo."

Ryland leans back in the couch and laughs. "Right."

Mandy trudges upstairs, her feet stomping each step and Jeremy sighs.

"I love peanut butter crackers, man," he says.

"That's why you were ready to beat my ass, huh?" Ryland says. "Mandy is a sneaky one."

"That won't stop my love for her," Jeremy says softly.

"What?" Ryland asks.

"What?" Jeremy says, pretending not to have said anything.

Ryland puffs out a laugh and pushes himself off the couch. "Start getting ready for that party tonight, kid."

"Yessir," Jeremy replies and the two head upstairs.

Meanwhile, preparations begin next door as the boys stumble about, cleaning the kitchen, tidying up the living room, and organizing their bedrooms in case someone needs to crash for the night.

Zion returns home amongst the fray and Vinny welcomes him, a large grin on his face until he notices a distinct difference in his appearance.

"The hell has got you all cleaning?" Zion asks.

Vincent ignores the question as his smile fades, leaving his mouth open.

"Your... hair," Vincent says slowly. "CADE!"

The shriek pierces Zion's ears and he visibly cringes, bringing a hand to his head. "Jesus."

Cade suddenly appears around the corner, peering in from the kitchen when his eyes fell on Zion as he too becomes shocked by his appearance.

"Your... hair," Cade says.

"That's what I said!" Vincent exclaims.

Zion runs his hand through his hair and shrugs.

"I needed a change," he says.

The length remains the same, still long past his neck, but the color has been dyed to a dark black.

Cade stares at Zion for a moment before he clears his throat and requests Zion's presence in his room immediately.

Zion grins at Cade, earning a snicker from Vincent, and the two barrel up the stairs after each other. It's as if they can't get up there fast enough.

Cade quickly closes the door behind himself as Zion approaches him, pushing his back to the door. Zion tilts his head toward Cade's, a few long, loose strands of hair falling, and he brings a hand to the side of Cade's neck, his thumb brushing his cheek.

"What is it you needed me for?" Zion asks, the corner of his lip curving up in a small smirk.

"You already know," Cade mutters, his eyes finding refuge in the floor.

Zion puffs out a laugh and leans closer, his lips brushing Cade's slightly.

"Hmm?" he asks as Cade remains still under Zion's touch.

Cade doesn't reply with words and instead presses his lips to Zion's, widening his mouth once he feels Zion's mouth move against his and presses his tongue against Zion's, releasing a quiet moan.

Cade feels Zion smile against his lips before deepening the kiss once more.

Zion pulls away after a moment, and Cade meets his eyes, a wide smile spread across his lips.

"What?" Zion asks, smiling.

Cade reaches out his arms and pulls Zion into a warm embrace. Zion wraps his arms around Cade's back and sinks his head into the space between Cade's neck and shoulder.

"I love you."

———

The doorbell soon rings twice and Vincent runs to greet the guests at the door. His brother's housemates arrive together and Vincent welcomes them inside.

Mandy steps inside first and introduces herself to Alec.

Alec flashes a smile and takes her hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Likewise," she replies. "You like Wingspan?"

Alec glances down at his shirt and laughs. "Yeah. They're my favorite band."

"No way," Mandy says. "They're playing at a bar close by in a few weeks."

Alec raises an eyebrow. "Good to know."

Mandy smiles. "Maybe I'll see ya there."

"Maybe."

Meanwhile, Vincent's brother, Jay walks in, quiet as usual, and takes a seat on the couch. Ryland plops down beside him, his leg touching Jay's.

"Your brother is like the complete opposite of you, huh?" Ryland asks.

Jay sighs. "I guess."

Zion soon enters the living room upon hearing the guests and Ryland looks up at him, his eyes widening.

"Sick tattoos, man," Ryland says.

"Thanks," Zion replies, his eyes falling on Ryland's arm. "You've got a few yourself."

Ryland awkwardly laughs. "I need to get them covered up."

Zion takes a seat across from the pair and leans back.

"I could help you with that," Zion tells him. "I work at the tattoo shop down the road."

"Really?" Ryland asks. "Sweet."

Zion nods. "I'll help you design something."

Ryland nudges Jay on the couch beside him. "What do you think I should get?"

Jay shrugs. "Up to you."

Ryland laughs. "Mhm."

A few seconds of silence ensue until the three hear Vincent yelling from the kitchen.

"Who wants ramen?"
———

thanks for reading! there are a lot of new characters so sorry if it is confusing. i can make a list for y'all if you need me to. (: sorry for the long wait