Stepping out of anxiety

For most of my life I was told I had a bad case of anxiety. I was known as the kid that COULD NOT communicate. Let alone want to make friends, cause I didn't. But that was back then. I was always the odd one out. And I never really understood why until I was given a label for it in early high school.

After a series of events and questioning the spiral in my self esteem I took myself to seek a psychologist for the past year for my personal problems & thinking I had ADHD.

A month ago I was handed a booklet called 'Stepping out of social anxiety using the exposure ladder.'

An idea came to me recently about using it as topic for my next blog/vlog. I think it's a good topic for content on social media, in the world of mental health. It's played a huge part in my school life and identity, something that occasionally affects me to this day. Something so many out there have been or are going through, the same thing.

Anyway, my first thought was that I've seen the 'exposure ladder' before a few times. Multiple times. This same print out was shown to me as a child. The same technique is used for children with selective mutism. I was avoidant back then, never understand why I was even there, or accepted that I needed help.

This form of exposure therapy fits under 'cognitive behavioural therapy.' Your psychologist will tell you to list things starting from one to ten what makes me the least anxious, to moderate, to the most severe.

For example making eye contact first, greeting people, booking appointments, ordering things. And what they want you to do is to take it one step at a time, and you WILL be uncomfortable doing it. And that's okay. That's how it works.

Come to think of it – I've done this so many times without even realising. High school experience, a friendship circle, performing and auditions, job interviews, exetra!

And I suppose to goal is to face your fears until you're comfortable in your own skin enough to no longer give a fark

I haven't actually tried it yet, but when I do, or if you do – let me know how it goes!

Secondly, 'growing out of it.' As I've been told quite a few times is that I grew out of it. As we grow and collect life experiences, we evolve, adapt and develop an immunity!

I also noted down some activities in the form of mindfulness that were suggested once or twice.

1. Colouring in Mandala's: Colouring in a print out of shapes and patterns is said to relieve feelings of anxiety, because it keeps your mind on one thing. Or maybe even painting.

2. Colours of the rainbow: Sitting down, think of a colour then look for it in your surroundings. Do it a few times. I've tried a version with my eyes closed before bed a few times and I can honestly say – it does give you a very similar feelings to meditation. A state of peace & serenity

3. Out of my own working memory & knowledge: Meditation. Meditation and deep breathing has always been a go to remedy in the world of alleviating stress and anxiety. It's highly encouraged in buddhism, monks and psychologists. Even in singing (breathing through the diaphragm).

I watched some of the videos uploaded by Dr D's - the owner of the place I had seen. I haven't actually met her, but the things I've read about her achievements and years of experience in psychology sound superb!

Her mental health, mindfulness and meditation videos are not bad. I've been playing it before going to sleep.

And if worst comes to worst. Medication. I've been on medication for most my life because my parents. Not a fan of it. But it it helps, it helps🤷‍♀️

A lot of therapists also encourage keeping a journal. Something about managing your thoughts, feelings and emotions.

Or another therapeutic approach ... working with a psychologist to identify and change unhelpful thinking.

At the end of the day no one's perfect.

On some occasions the only opinion that matters is the one within. You know yourself the best.

You are bigger than whatever is making you anxious.

You are stronger and capable of things that you don't even realise you can achieve.

Keep hustling.