Chapter 7

"This project is due in a week and I was thinking we could meet up sometime to finish it. I can come over to your house and we can— " My words cut off from the blonde walking next to me.

"No," Jack says. He looks at my surprised expression and sighs. "Sorry, I just don't think it's a good idea. My parents can be intense." I nod and an idea pops into my head.

"Well then come over to my house."

Jack looks at me uncertain. "You want me to come to your house?"

"Yeah! It should be fine, plus I think my brother and Alfred would be happy to learn I made a new friend after years of Cassandra hanging around the house all the time." I laugh and cringe internally at the label of Jack being my friend. We aren't anything more, but there is definitely something there whether either of us want to admit it or not. A part of me wants to ignore the tension between Jack and I out of fear from my past, but these past couple days have been a nice change that I am not eager to give up.

"I'll have to let my parents know, but how about today?" Jack asks.

"Oh! Yeah I can do today, how does six-thirty sound?"

"That should work, I'll see you then," he smiles at me, his dimples making an appearance on his cheeks.

"See you!" I find myself grinning ear to ear walking to my car to head home for the day.

~~~~~~~~~~

By the time six o'clock comes around, I find myself getting changed into a nicer outfit. After sifting through my closet, I settle for a pair of jeans and a fluffy black sweater. I take the remaining time before Jack arrives to touch up my makeup and pull my hair into a messy yet cute style. As I apply a light coat of lipgloss, my nerves intensify. 'We are just meeting to complete a project, this isn't a date,' I think to myself. 'Then why do I feel like I could hurl up my insides?' I find myself thinking. My inner monologue comes to a halt at the sound of the doorbell ringing and shortly after Alfred calling for me from downstairs. I take one last look into the mirror at myself and take a deep breath. 'You can do this." I finally conclude, standing up and making my way down the grand marble staircase. The cold of the floor seeps through my socks and settles my still buzzing nerves. I turn the corner to make my way into the spacious living room and see Jack and Alfred making small talk.

"Hey," I announce myself to both of them and Jack smiles once he sees me. "Thank you, Alfred."

"It's not a problem Miss Wayne," Alfred states. I sigh at the name again. No matter how many times I insist he doesn't call me that, he persists in it. I think it too formal for him to call me that. Even though he has known me since the day my mother gave birth to me, I still find it a little odd. It appears to be something I will have to get use to. We all stand there for a couple of seconds in silence. I glance at Alfred, hoping he will get the hint. He looks my way and jumps a little. "Oh, I'll leave you two to your own then. Supper will be ready at seven, Master Jack you are welcome to stay for dinner if you would like; however, I understand if you have prior commitments with your own family." Alfred smiles.

"Thank you," Jack gives him an awkward smile as Alfred bows his head slightly and leaves to go prepare supper. I smile at Jack and nod for him to follow me upstairs.

"I hope Alfred didn't give you a hard time before I came down," I state.

"No, no he didn't. He's a very polite old man. I can see why you like him so much." Jack looks at me and I nod, relief relaxing me ever so slightly.

"Yeah, Alfred is the best. Although the formalities can take some getting used to." I laugh and Jack lets out a chuckle while we ascend the stairs to my bedroom.