The Last Option

Together they waded their way through the darkness of the tunnels beneath Esterfray. After consulting a map of the sewer systems, they discovered a direct path beneath the tower of the Order. From there Connor knew a secret entrance which would grant them access. The only issue was there was no ledge or way of progressing without submerging in the foulness of the sewer. As they waded through the muck came up to Connor's waist and Kelsey's chest, the smell was unbearable, luckily Kelsey thought to bring wooden pegs to clamp over their noses. 'This is absolutely horrific' Kelsey said with disgust. Connor torch in hand guiding their way replied, 'yes this is horrific, I feel as though I will never be clean again'. The pair walked for more than five kilometres in the darkness, regretting every life choice that had brought them their current circumstances. As they walked Kelsey felt with her finger the slight cut left by Rohena's nail, cursing the poison flowing through her body.

Professor Archibald Dolton was the engineer who designed the sewage system beneath Esterfray. The main lines were built over two hundred years ago, yet they aged remarkably well, serving as a more than adequate means of disposing the waste products generated by the considerable population of the city. An unintended consequence of Professor Dolton's achievement was he inadvertently created a new network of tunnels accessible to residents who did not belong above ground. Dolton was eventually made aware of the new inhabitants of the sewage system, although he dismissed it as a nonissue, as who would be foolish enough to venture down below? Soon enough the tunnel began to shoot off in different directions, after checking the map Connor turned right and ventured further into the darkness. Kelsey was never afraid of the dark. Growing up she would play for hours in the dense forest brush with her friends, only after becoming enveloped in mud and dirt would she return home to the fury of her mother. One should not be afraid of the dark, merely what it conceals Kelsey thought to herself, a phrase delivered by her mother on numerous occasions. She never gave much credence to lessons taught by her mother, yet as she grew older their applicability became more noticeable. Please do not be right again mother.

She thought it was her stomach at first. Or perhaps Connor's stomach. Only they had eaten not long previous, and this growling was unlike anything she had ever heard. It had come from behind, reverberating off the walls and echoing down further into the tunnel. The hairs on the back of Kelsey's head shot up, Connor whirled around to light the way behind. Shadows of grotesque figures moved along the curve of the wall, they were more human than not, yet the sounds bounding down the walls of the tunnel were otherworldly. A strange clicking of interlocking joints only flesh. The shadows were moving quickly, only they did not move in the manner of humans, they were on all fours and traveling fast. 'Run' Connor said, Kelsey did not need to be told twice. Trying to run through the sloshing sewage was a challenge, Kelsey's thighs were burning with every step. She turned to look behind, the shadows had rounded the corner and were now visible. They may have been people, once, now their skin was bloody and peeling off their bodies, bones shot out at weird angles and their eyes, soulless and black. Worst of all, the monsters were running along the side of the wall, using their horrific fingers to find small holes for leverage. Kelsey ran, as best she could, Connor was ahead of her shining the way. 'Left!' He shouted, here the water level seemed to recede, and Kelsey was able to run slightly better. 'Right'! Connor yelled again. Kelsey's chest was burning, her throat was tight, her feet were sore, still she ran, for her life. The monsters pursued them, their awful clicking growing louder and louder as they gained ground. Kelsey looked ahead and the water seemed to be flowing down at exponential rate, 'Connor...'. 'Connor!' Kelsey screamed as they halted just before the edge of a sewage waterfall, descending at least twenty metres. 'Fuck me' Connor swore as he looked over the side, not seeing the bottom due to the complete darkness. The monsters gained ground, Kelsey could now seem salivating at the mouth, drooling at the prospect of fresh meat. Kelsey grabbed Connor's hand, 'we have to' she said, and they jumped together into the darkness.