outsideTheArena.01

Head Scientists Note: (Entry No. Zero)

To whomever finds themselves reading this, the contents of the Scientist's Logbook are highly confidential. They contain logs of conversations taken place outside of the Arena, as well as details about the Subjects, the Arena, as well as the scientific reasoning, and the 'making' of both. However, the contents of the Scientists Logbook are not necessary for understanding the events of the eleventh Arena Experiment. Thank you for reading this note, and enjoy the contents of the logs.

~~~~~~~~~~

Scientist's Logbook: (Entry No. One)

· Observation Room No. Four

The Observation Deck is equipped with holographic displaying technology which can display three-dimensional images in any area of the room. As you enter, the observation deck contains a large meeting table on the immediate left. This meeting table is two metres in width and ten metres in length. It can sit twenty-one personnel. Ten down each length, and the Head Scientist on the far width. The table can support holographic display units. All the walls are a pale grey with accents of jet black and pearl white shooting through places. At the far end of the room are three flat steps. At the top is the Head Scientist's desk. His desk is made entirely of next generation Laser Displaying Material. (LDM) This material – just like most everything – is also capable of holographic projection. Behind his desk is a window overlooking the centre of the Arena. From this point you can see the diverse maze's pathways, and all that follows. And on the right of the room is a set of chairs overlooking nineth-generation super computers. These computers can control everything inside the Arena – they are the heart of the operation.

~~~~~~~~~~

Scientist's Logbook: (Entry No. Two)

· System Boot Up

The Head Scientist is sitting at his desk in the main observation room - Observation Deck Four. The First Scientist is running through the regularly needed checks to ensure everything is running smoothly. The Second Scientist is currently monitoring one of the room's nineth-generation super computers.

"Barrier up; check. Walls up; check. Subjects released; more-or-less check," The First Scientist exclaims, ticking off the last of the small black boxes displayed on the screen of his datapad. He has a slight lisp as he speaks, and his accent is British. The First Scientist is a rather small fellow, being a whole head shorter than his boss – the Head Scientist. He has a slightly wrinkled face, covered with large freckles and moles. He has a light skin tone, no tanning in sight. A pair of grey, oval glasses slide down his nose, and he has rows of crooked teeth. The First Scientist paces the floor in front of his boss's desk, waiting to be dismissed. The Head Scientist suspiciously eyes his inferior. The Head Scientist has served the group for decades. He controls everything – nothing happens without his approval. As such, he only trusts himself to make the Arena announcements.

"'More or less,' check?" The Head Scientist inquires from his position at his glass desk. Confusion and accusation are audible in his rough, commanding voice. The First Scientist turns to look at him, conscious that he must take care in his wording for fear of provoking his boss.

"Uh, yes, sir. The automated wakey-wakey needle connected to Subjects number One-Two-Nine and Four-Seven-Zero failed to activate on schedule for the Arena deadline, resulting in Subjects to remain unconscious during the first moments. They both swiftly expired." The First Scientist finishes, pushing his glasses farther up on his nose as he fearfully peers up at his boss. He is shuffling back and forth uncomfortably in his standing position.

The Head scientist exhales a deep sigh, leaning back in his premium-quality leather swivel chair. He plucks the coffee mug from his angled glass desk, bringing it to his lips for a long draught. "Anything else?" He grumpily asks in between sips of creamy goodness.