four

Clarke's plans are supposed to work. That's kind of her job.

Her crew, her people, are supposed to be on a boat right now, sailing back home, not in the back of a prisoner wagon, shackled, gagged and blindfolded.

She had the whole escape plan, and of course she had a back-up plan for every case that could potentially happen.

Every case but one, that is.

After their escape (Octavia was at ease with those locks), they put Bellamy, Roan and Murphy into stolen guard uniforms. Clarke feels a little bad for the three men stripped half-naked in the broom corner, but then again, their expressions had just been too funny.

Luna, Raven and Echo were going to be Roan's and Murphy's fake prisoners, to be brought out of the city immediately. If, by any chance, they had been found out, a massacre would have only served as a better distraction. A dozen of these guards have nothing on half a dozen of Clarke's people.

Octavia would manipulate the tower gates at the same time. The previous night, Raven had only needed to bat her eyes at a guard, and he was all too happy to tell her about the army of this country, and about the large part always stationed in the tower.

To avoid them getting out of the tower in time to follow the crew, Octavia was going to lock down the gates, covered by fake guard Bellamy, arguably the second most important part of the whole job.

There was just one step left to complete the plan.

Clarke had to be the one to guide the ridiculous amount of guards away from the tower gates for Octavia to work.

Again, lured out of some poor man by one blink of Raven's eyes, he had been convinced that if they were ever to try something as ridiculous as escaping, there would be a prize on each of their heads. As if passing on a secret, he had leaned closer to Raven and let her know that that blonde thing would certainly be worth all the medals and money.

So Clarke was going to present herself in front of all of them and lure them far, far away from the tower.

She might have died, but that prospect wasn't nearly as bad as the prospect of failing to complete her duty.

Yet that's exactly what happened. Obviously, given their current place all tied up on their way to a new prison.

And all because of a stupid fucking color.

All because a woman sat down next to Clarke and Clarke almost fell off her chair.

All because she looked up and she saw big, beautiful eyes in such a breathtaking green that she was unable to move for a second. Her brain simply discarded everything else and tried to figure out the golden sparkles in that green.

She blames it on the overpopulation of men in this country. Every guard, every warrior, every person who had come to speak to them... not a single woman. The green-eyed woman had seemed like a beacon in the dark, then.

That pink sunset blush over those sharp, defined cheeks was just too adorable not to stay for. That's what Clarke wanted. She wanted to stay.

And she had. Just another minute or two, but she was on the run; sitting at the food stand was only to wait out a rush of guards.

Long story short, they caught her.

They caught her, and then they caught the rest of them, and the whole thing failed all because of a pair of eyes and a pretty blush.

-

It's a punishment.

When Lexa walks into TonDC, she walks in with her wretched black heart torn, but with her head held high and her shoulders square. Her face, usually left bare, is painted to hide the black rings beneath her eyes and the sickly paleness of her skin.