34

It was no surprise that the emperor called her the Marquis of Linke. If the deal went right, she would continue to be duly called the Marquis of Linke. Of course, being called "properly" was several times more important than being addressed as 'Marchioness'.
Reinhardt continued to rub her fingers along the sides of her temples. It was a habit that came out when she was nervous. Marc came up to her and straightened her hair once, but she rubbed her temples again.
'Damn it.'
She needed someone to talk to right now. A good friend with whom one could share one's troubles was usually hard to find, which was why they were all the more prized. Oh damnit, Dietrich! At times like this, she missed him desperately. Reinhardt glanced to the side and almost sighed.
Advertisement

Let alone Dietrich, a dog sent by Glencia's fox was loitering next to her. With it right next to her, it was obvious that even if Dietrich was there, she wouldn't be able to have a proper conversation.
"Sir Stugall."
"Ah, yes."
She quickly mentioned what Wilhelm had "scheduled to give" to Fernach Glencia. That must be a solution. Since Wilhelm tried to trade with his lineage, it was difficult to find the proof other than the crystal.
'Other than that, there's no reason for that Algen Stugall to follow us beyond the Crystal Gate.'
But she couldn't give him the crystal. Because the emperor needed to see it. When the emperor asked Wilhelm's age, Reinhardt thought that perhaps the emperor had noticed Wilhelm's origins.
And right now, it was time for afternoon tea.
She didn't even expect that he would call her so urgently. So she couldn't give it any more. Instead, Reinhardt had referred to Amaryllis. A token of the imperial family that can be given if negotiations with the emperor were successful.
Advertisement

Fortunately, the fox's lieutenant didn't protest. Algen Stugall had answered quickly and withdrew.
Reinhardt was engrossed as she fingered the crystal. She mentioned Amaryllis, but that was only possible if the deal is done 'right'. So... ... .
"Sorry, Chief Chamberlain. Would you grant my lord a room? She must be tired from travelling since dawn."
That was then when suddenly, Wilhelm summoned the chamberlain with those words. The chief chamberlain, who had been waiting for the unprecedented reception of the new high lord, was puzzled, but he was also quick-witted. In general, those who work in the imperial castle did not survive if they were not sharp, and the chief chamberlain immediately made a decision on how to treat the woman who was expelled as a deposed woman but returned as a high lord and whom the emperor called 'the Marquis of Linke'.
"If you don't mind, there is a room where the lords stay temporarily whenever they have an audience."
"That way, please."
The party, including Algen and Marc, was left in the waiting room. The room the chief chamberlain showed them was not as big as the honored guest waiting room, but it was a bedroom with a small parlor. It was only then that Reinhardt remembered that there was a room provided for influential lords, as there were many cases where they had to wait within the imperial castle all day.
It was a place she had forgotten because she was the crown princess, and because she was the lord of Helka in her previous life, she did not have the title of a high lord.
"If you don't mind, have a nap."
It was embarrassing, but she felt like she could breathe a little more. Reinhardt had faintly noticed that she was feeling unsettled among the group. The knights of her territory were people she had just met, and among the party, the only ones she could trust were Wilhelm and Marc.
No, not Wilhelm... ... .
Reinhardt stopped thinking and forced a smile.
"... ... Thanks. I will stay here for a while. How did you come up with the idea of asking for a room?"
Wilhelm looked at her as she exhaled, then nodded.
"Proper castles usually have rooms like this."
"I see. You must have learnt about it during the war."
"... ... Yes."
Reinhardt walked slowly, sat down on a chair, and bent over. Her head hurt. The chief of staff asked if they could serve tea, but Reinhardt refused.
"Don't let anyone approach unless it is to tell us it's tea time."
"Yes."
The chamberlain had left, but there were still signs of people in the room. Reinhardt looked up vaguely. It was Wilhelm.
"... ... Ah, you should rest too."
"I'm all right."
"Wilhelm."
"Really, it's all right."
Wilhelm stood next to a chair, and noticing that she had been looking up at him, knelt down beside her. He was like a puppy, and Reinhardt wanted to pat his head. That young man had grown too much to be patted, but Wilhelm strangely behaved like a child in front of her from time to time. If not... ... . like a foster puppy.
"You should join us at afternoon tea time. You understand?"
"... ... Yes."
"Do you know what this means?"
Reinhardt was prepared to hear a story of a transaction that could only be made with his lineage. Perhaps Wilhelm's answer was also related to this. But Wilhelm's response was not what she expected.
"Yes. I must protect you."
"... ... Wilhelm. Perhaps... ... ."
Reinhardt squinted one eye and looked down at Wilhelm as if assessing him. Wilhelm nodded.
"There will be plenty of time until the banquet, but calling you right away at afternoon tea would mean one of two things. Either His Majesty has some very urgent business, or he intends to take your life right away."
"... ... ."
"And my life will be no exception."
"Wilhelm."
Reinhardt's embarrassed voice tried to probe.
"... ... Did Dietrich teach you this? No, no... ... ."
Reinhardt was still contemplating on her own whether a "proper negotiation" would be possible during the afternoon tea time with the emperor. The emperor of Alanquez was smart, in no hurry and was greedy. Thanks to the empress, he ascended to the throne comfortably, so he had no rivals, and his son was also the only son. So there was no rush at all.
Reinhardt couldn't tell whether he was making a fuss, or pretending to be in a hurry and ignoring her.
The offer presented by the emperor was certainly tempting. The possibility of promotion to high-lordship and restoration of the Linke family's authority, and the return of the body of Hugh Linke. On the contrary, all he asked for was to come to the island of the capital, have an audience with the emperor, and have Wilhelm be officially appointed.
It was a losing deal for the emperor, but it was clear that it was a check on the newly made high lord.
And the easiest and fastest way to check this kind of power was:
An assassination
Reinhardt was a high lord created in just six months, and if she lost her life now, the mass of territories named Luden's Great Territory would shatter immediately. So the emperor could pretend he was in a hurry and call her straight to teatime, making no special preparations, and then just kill her.
As these thoughts flowed, Reinhardt tried to organize her hectic head. However, she didn't hesitate to point out what she had been worrying about in the parlor since the end of the interview.
"... ... Dietrich died before you could consolidate the estate."
"Unfortunately... ... The battlefield taught me many things."
Wilhelm's face darkened as soon as he heard the name Dietrich, and then immediately turned out a bittersweet smile.
'Yes. If you've been on the battlefield for three years... ... And if you see and kill people every day there, even a child could suddenly become an adult.'
With that said, could he suddenly become smart enough to read the situation so quickly?
Reinhardt dismissed that thought. In her mind, Wilhelm was still the disheveled boy in the mountains, but in reality Wilhelm was the emperor's son.
Considering how a child who could not speak a word could read a book within a season of learning to read, in fact, she may have been foolish to underestimate Wilhelm.
"But I think the chance of an assassination is low."
"Yes. I think so too."
"Can you tell me why?"
Reinhardt asked Wilhelm carefully. Wilhelm smiled softly, as if he knew Reinhardt's secrets, and took her hand and kissed the back of it. And he answered bluntly.
"This is the first Great Domain which was born after several decades. And the main character is Reinhardt, you. My lady has also maimed the Crown Prince. If you are in any way injured or killed in the Imperial Palace today, it will be assumed that the emperor has killed the high lord, whatever the circumstances."
An accurate assessment. Reinhardt licked her dry lips involuntarily. Wilhelm looked at her with such a piercing gaze and said with a slow force.
"Everyone knows under what pretext His Majesty the Emperor has called you. The emperor would be at great risk if he killed you before he returned to you the honor you deserved as the Marquis of Linke. The High Lords of the Empire will turn their backs on the Emperor. There must be a great domain that will aim for independence by using that as an excuse."
"Wilhelm."
There was a little joy in Reinhardt's voice. It was the joy of those who missed a close confidant because they had no one to talk to openly, and it was the joy of a person who found out that the boy she loved had grown up so amazingly.
Wilhelm kissed the back of her hand once more. His hard, hot lips pressed against the back of her hand and then fell.
"And we have other circumstances."
"... ... Yes. He asked your age."
Wilhelm rubbed her hand against his cheek.
"Will he make me his son?"
"No. You made it clear to the emperor that you belong to me. The emperor wouldn't want to ask us openly. You'd think he didn't know you were his illegitimate son. He'll sneak a peek at you, and he'll probably try to investigate you without anyone else's knowledge."
"... ... So what do you want, Rein?"
Reinhardt noticed that her mood was clearly different from before. It was very rare for anyone to have someone with whom they could openly share their concerns and could honestly share opinions about their secrets. How much less so was it for Wilhelm?
"What do you want to do?"
Rather, Reinhardt had asked Wilhelm. For her, before negotiating with the emperor, knowing what Wilhelm wanted to do was the most important thing.
"Do you want to be the Crown Prince?"
If Wilhelm wanted to, she would support him. The most important thing for Reinhardt was Michel's downfall, so it was also a tempting thing to do. The illegitimate son with a formidable force who made a small estate into a great estate would be so much more outstanding than a prince with a weak leg.
It was time for her to organize those calculations in her head.
"Whatever you choose, Rein. Things like this are too difficult for me."
What, why are you suddenly pretending not to know? Reinhardt laughed at those words and tried to slap him. But Wilhelm didn't even give Reinhardt a chance to open her mouth, but put her hand to his cheek and smiled, closing his eyes.
"I just want you to kiss my forehead right now."
The calculations in Reinhardt's head were now nicely tangled. As she shook her head to come to her senses, Wilhelm spoke again.
"Please understand, Rein. I don't need anything but you."
Reinhardt had to work tirelessly to restore her sanity.