The Bully & the Broomstick

When Aurora had prepared for Hogwarts, she had expected to know Cedric and Cedric, only. Of course, she had always intended to make friends of her own, but the idea had always truly frightened her. She never had much opportunity to make friends growing up, and she wasn't sure if anyone would like her. And never in her wildest dreams did she expect to bond with anyone as quickly as she had with the other Slytherin first-years.

She and Draco Malfoy had become fast friends, despite their strange run-in on the train. And unlike her original fears, he hadn't just befriended her because of her blood status, they had truly connected.

Besides Draco, Aurora had found a new, almost-family with the Slytherins. Daphne Greengrass and Pansy Parkinson were still attached at the hip, but they had quickly taken Aurora under their wing. Theodore Nott was still the quietest of the group, but Aurora loved to spend time with him and the never-ending supply of books he seemed to have. They found they were often paired together for in-class projects, and he was quite adept for a first-year, especially when it came to Potions. Blaise Zabini too was good company, when he wasn't sneaking off to be on his own. Tracey Davis had come out of her shell a bit, finally biting back against another mockery of Pansy's and even earning the brunette's respect, while Millicent Bulstrode was still guarded, refusing to hold conversation with the rest of the Slytherin girls for longer than a minute. And finally there was Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle who were...well, just Crabbe and Goyle. Aurora couldn't stand the way they hung around Draco, acting just like guard dogs on the prowl.

Aurora truly loved her fellow Slytherins more than anything, but she did still occasionally miss her friends from the train, who had all been sorted into Gryffindor. They hadn't gotten extremely close, but they had all been rather friendly and welcoming. And while it wasn't impossible to see them, first-year Slytherins only shared Transfiguration and Potions classes with the Gryffindors, meaning she would have to find them outside of class in order to talk. A task that felt near impossible with how massive the castle was. Or at least, it was, until Pansy spotted a new notice pinned-up on the Slytherin notice board.

"Flying lessons, this Thursday," she read aloud as the rest of the first-years, still half-asleep, gathered around.

"Finally! Move, Parkinson," Draco whooped, rushing forward, his tie loose around his neck. He bumped Pansy to the side and studied the flier intensely, his arms pinned on either side, blocking it from everyone else's view. Once he had finished reading, he groaned. "With the Gryffindors? Merlin, this is going to be miserable."

"Says who?" Theo asked, leaning over to study the notice for himself, now that Draco had gotten out of the way.

"It's just obvious!" Draco groaned. Crabbe patted his shoulder awkwardly for a moment, before Draco shrugged him off.

Aurora grinned, leaning against the arms of one of the low sofas. She had been looking forward to flying lessons ever since Cedric wrote her a letter all about his epic wipeout during his flying lessons - and how much he had loved it. She didn't even mind that it would be a shared class. As long as she got a broom all to herself, she was happy.

"I mean, they'll just make fools out of themselves!" Draco continued, tightening and adjusting his tie.

As his complaining continued, Blaise and Daphne made they way around the group, inspecting each uniform to ensure that the first-years looked ready and presentable. It was a quirk that had started on the second day, after Millicent's incorrectly buttoned shirt had gotten them a stern talking-to from Snape about the importance of appearances.

"Potter's certainly never even seen a broomstick. Doubt Longbottom could stay on for more than a second. And that Weasley?" Draco scoffed. "I'd be surprised if his family could afford a twig."