13| I'M NOT SAYING IT

CHARIS DIRECTED A SERIES OF PIERCING GLARES AT ALEX, a blend of anger and disappointment coursing through her. His failure to even check on her after shoving her left her feeling disregarded. At this point, she didn't anticipate receiving an apology. Positioned between Danny and Nathan, she balanced a bag of ice on her knee, a silent reminder of the altercation's aftermath.

Above all, Charis was deeply hurt by the casual way Alex used her name as if she were just another one of the girls his brother liked to toy with. While they may not have been the closest of friends, their connection ran deep. They had known each other forever, their mothers were best friends, and their fathers remained close. They used to spend countless hours riding horses together, and he was always there to cheer her on during her barrel races. However, she couldn't deny that after her accident, she had withdrawn from everyone, and they simply never found their way back to the bond they once shared.

Deliberately choosing not to sit next to Cole, she noticed his initial disappointment, though he eventually accepted her decision. Danny, caught in the middle, clung to his backpack, feeling somewhat out of place. Despite the discomfort, he remained willing to endure it if it meant aiding in restoring peace after the earlier clash.

Charis waited patiently for Austin, preferring to inform him directly rather than letting rumors swirl through Tara Jacobs' exaggerations. Charis downplayed the situation over the phone, emphasizing that the conflict was primarily between the boys and she had merely been caught in the middle by chance. She assured Austin that she would provide a more detailed explanation later. When he inquired about her well-being, she simply stated that she was annoyed with Alex, choosing not to delve into further details.

Initially, Austin almost laughed it off, teasing that the boys were fighting over her. But he quickly understood the gravity of the situation. He assured himself he would lend Charis a listening ear on their way home. Above all, his main concern was her well-being, especially her injured leg. He hoped she was coping well. Despite the seriousness of the incident, he held onto the belief that they would find a way to laugh about it later.

As he approached the school parking lot, Austin's eyes lingered on the entrance, a rush of nostalgia flooding him as he recalled moments spent there with Bianca. Despite Charis's request for him to wait outside, he couldn't resist the urge to step inside. Just then, Katherine joined him, her initial sour expression transforming into a smile at the sight of Austin. With a shared sigh and a chuckle, they assumed more serious expressions, ready to proceed to the principal's office together.

"So I heard Alex shoved Charis, among his brothers," Austin said, a smirk playing on his lips as his flannel shirt fluttered in the breeze. He knew Katherine hadn't heard about it yet.

"What?" Katherine stopped walking, her mouth falling open in shock.

"Austin, I'm so sorry. When I get my hands on them," she stammered, her frustration evident. Austin chuckled, grazing his beard with his fingers.

"Don't worry, Charis isn't upset. She's just pissed at Alex since he hasn't apologized yet," Austin reassured her as they continued walking. Katherine let out a sigh, running a hand over her face.

"The drama these kids get into nowadays," she muttered, shaking her head.

"Eh, we were the same," Austin shrugged, a nostalgic smile crossing his face.

"You know what? Put your angry face on! It'll scare them," Katherine declared before turning the corner.

Asserting their positions side by side, Katherine and Austin donned stoic expressions and icy glares as they approached the group of kids, aiming to intimidate them. Katherine shot Alex and Cole a stern look as she opened the door, and Austin followed suit, casting a final glare at Alex before entering the room.