Idol -part 6-

Paulo was still out of reach

It was almost time to head to the airport and fly back home, yet the boy still wouldn't let anyone get in touch with him. He couldn't bother to as much as get himself out of bed or even turn his phone on.

It was all still so fresh, a few hours passed by since the ref's whistle announced the game's finish time with his team losing 4-3 to Barca's, a score too close  it hurt even more than the pain still throbbing slightly in his ankle.

He had a unshaken belief the loss had to do with him.
And even though the first half of the game wasn't the greatest, having ended with a draw, but they were all ready to get back on their feet for the second one.
And God knows he was, more than anyone else. The growing need to impress, to stay true to his unique title but more importantly to have Cris' back against his rival.. It was all driving him with a drunken desire -no, need- to win.

That is, until his body decided to betray him, for no apparent reason other than the fact life has been too nice to him, lately.
Too nice to be true.

.

" For fuck's sake, I just told you I need more time! "

He shouted in reply to the knock on the door. Some of his teammates have already went on failed quests to get him to leave the room, including Cuadrado and of course Buffon, the latest messenger being Federico, only 5 minutes ago.
"... Just leave me alone for a few more-"

- " Paulo, this is me. "

As soon as Cristiano's steady voice from behind the door hit his ears, the boy's heart fluttered. He was expecting him to come over sooner or later, and as much as he needed him, his company, his presence, he also was avoiding him the most. At the end of the day, it was him he let down, more than anyone, wasn't it?

- " I'm coming... " It was still a bit painful to walk, but he wasn't about to let it show on his face. However, the way Cris's eyes were studying him as soon as the door was opened made the boy realize he probably didn't do very well hiding it.

"Cris... I-.. I don't think I'm ready to- "

" I know.. " the man assured calmly as he stepped inside. " I'm not here to ask you to do anything. "

" Good, cause I'm not.. planning.. to.. " He said while hopping his way back towards the bed where he plopped himself down. He heard Cris close the door, then felt the sheets being slowly pulled to cover him, careful not to touch his ankle, followed by a hand placed gently on his head and a long, heartfelt kiss on his forehead.

" You need to rest yourself, Paulino.. " The hand on Paulo's head was still there, caressing it softly. " Let me take care of everything else.. "

Paulo sighed at the loss of touch as Cris stepped away to 'make a few phonecalls' , and based on the fragments of the one-sided dialogues he could hear the boy was certain -with not much surprise- he was the subject of most of them.