I. Swift and merciful i once was

chapter one
written 26 february 2024

Purity was often associated with adeptal disciples. However, that did not prohibit them from means of enjoying the merits of mortality, especially when their patrons and their patrons' patrons retired to more... humanlike customs. The adeptal arts were nothing more than art—ancient, beautiful practices that transcended the confines of human efforts. And while one who could hold such art in their hands was able to wield it with grace and strength, the lifestyle of adeptal disciples was not dictated by power. They were dictated by good will.

But, again, the merits of mortality were not to be underestimated. At least, that was what one merely supposed, feigning optimism regarding her newly-constructed human guise. Her pupil stared at her blankly, although this pupil expressed sincerity in complimenting her new appearance. One planned to visit Liyue Harbor. One considered that temporarily retiring among the shores and ships would do her some good, especially in the age of humans, as an old companion of hers had called it.

(He 'retired' to simple pleasures in Liyue, after all, regardless of the fact that He was something so much more in the millennia past.)

Her pupil, her daughter, had visited Liyue Harbor before, sparingly, and one heard her stories. Stories about a traveler and a manuscript, a performer and an opera of joys staged upon a palace in the clouds, sharing drinks and soft smiles with the Qixing and the savior of Liyue's ocean. Stories about herself, and then about finding herself in the debris of a home out in the country, and then about her perception of self amidst new... friends... and the distance between her and mortality wavering by the second. And this distance was rather inspiring to one, mind you, so Master decided to see the hustle and bustle of Liyue Harbor herself.

Eventually, her pupil, her daughter—Shenhe—would allow her own wanderings and meanderings to lead her to the harbor once more, time and time again, just to get a taste of humanity despite being human herself. The sounds of voices became a musical backdrop as Shenhe landed atop one of many pavilions, practically walking on air as a trail of ice and wind followed her path upon the golden framework of each rooftop.

From here, she admired the edges of the harbor, the busy boardwalk and the construction in preparation for the new year as a statue of one of many Yaksha held lanterns all around Them as they sat cross-legged by the maritime vessels. Traders and goods made traffic on the carved walkways, and so did the people admiring the lights adorning a half-upholstered Menogias, whose eyes were still obstructed by scaffolding and workers.

Shenhe leapt further into the sky, manifesting a white shadow eclipsing the emerging moonlight—just for a moment in time—before landing on the towering edifice just beyond the statues, also adorned by red and gold in the name of the 'new year' her Master had discussed once before. The ocean glittered and gleamed beneath the light of celestial bodies making their way across the ether, and the lanterns beneath her began to illuminate warmly as the world darkened. Her glazed eyes followed the lanterns' path, being drawn to each of many individuals strolling back and forth on the stone and wood, and someone on their lonesome caught their eye.

She alighted upon the hemmed ramp between the shipbrokers and the boardwalk itself. At the low end was an unassuming woman, an ingenue frock in dulling opals with dark umber skin and soft eyes, and from her hip hung an aureate vision. The ingenue watched over the calm waters, elbows propped up on the railing as she leaned closer and closer, smiling.

Shenhe spoke and permeated the silence. "Shanxian-meinu," she addressed her. "It is good to see you."

Upon hearing her voice, Shanxian looked up towards the familiar figure. Tall and imposing with a blank expression, almost content though inscrutable, with her snow-white hair braided down her back. "Shenhe... I'm surprised to find you in Liyue Harbor."

"I've come here quite often. Often enough, at least, for the past year. What brings you here, Shanxian?"

Shanxian smiled warmly, and then gestured to the docks. "What do you think?"

Lanterns grew more brightly as they rose into the air, and maybe the world wasn't as dark anymore.

"Lantern Rite."

"Mhm."

While Shenhe idled her days upon the peaks and vales of the Jueyun Karst as a disciple, it was not as if she was the only one of many who did so. She knew Shanxian, the ingenue who bore the blood of an illuminated beast within her veins, who breathed and spoke in verses of spring water and weathered tumult. As Shenhe stood upon mountaintops alongside feathers and snow, Shanxian lived in the rivers and cried Jiaoren tears, scattering their golden gleam across the rippling banks.

They met once at an intersection, where the snow melted and collided with the waters on a fateful day of studies, and Master convinced her to at least befriend those who benefitted the land and sea—because Shenhe's isolation was something she relished—though warned her disciple to heed her fatal urges as she was bound in red weavings for her spirit to dwindle.

Shenhe only agreed upon Master's request, though that day opened her up to the idea of reconnecting with those who lived alongside her, who appeared in likeness to her, who were at most human and at least capable of companionship. Today, her third Lantern Rite spent by Liyue Harbor would begin soon, and considering that Shanxian was here, as well as her Master, she supposed it would be different.

"I would like to make a request," Shenhe then spoke, walking closer to the ingenue. "If you would not mind."

Shanxian's eyes fixed on her curiously. She replied, "As long as it is within my means."

"I think it is," Shenhe prompted.

Shanxian waited for her to continue.

"Mast—Xianyun," Her Master's new address, "is hosting a meal at her abode in Jueyun Karst with me, alongside Ganyu, before the beginning of Lantern Rite this evening."

She left it at that.

"Is this an invitation?" Shanxian attempted to fill in the void of her sentences. Shenhe nodded. "I'd love to visit, Shenhe, but you know mountain air..."

"Pools of mountain water lie among the rock formations and adeptal realm's entrance," Shenhe assured her. "You will be safe there. If not, I will find ways to accommodate you until you are comfortable."

The ingenue looked at her fondly upon her promises. "Then I think this could be the perfect night."

Shenhe stared at her with her vacuous, glazy eyes, and then replied a simple, "Good," before wandering off once again.

As she stood on the wooden boards, Shanxian watched her from afar as she drifted further and further into the sea of people, easily discernible among the heads of dark hair  against her pale roots and feathery comb, as well as her tall stature, though once she reached the gates, she was out of sight.

Afterwards, Shanxian laid her eyes upon her beloved ocean once more, gaze locked onto the foam forming at the edges of each wave. She whispered to it and it responded in rhythm, with emotional timbre washing sparkles ashore beneath the planks where the harbor's boardwalk was built upon. Luring in each wave from a distance, she could hear the creatures beneath. And though she missed life beneath miserably, with what, her numb legs and limbs, connecting with her mortal ancestry charmed her in more ways than one.

Lantern Rite celebrated the uncertain future and its prosperity. Yet it wouldn't hurt to reconvene with what she knew most—upon mountain peak bathed in bygone summer's dew.

// happy new year happy 2024 to shenhe because i gave her a blasian mermaid gf lesgooooo 🧘‍♀️🧘‍♀️🧘‍♀️ in all seriousness lantern rite this year (ignoring the mere three intertwined fates) was great and i wanted to write about some of it sooooo
// i'm not sure if i'll include my other (older) liyue characters — specifically quynh (if u remember her), who was my zhongli x oc — however i'm certain that i will be using lumine as the traveler in this genshin fic. because i am in love with lumine. EVERYTHING FOR LUMINE!!!!!!
// i know lantern rite is over but just let me reminisce, thank youuuu <333
// and yes i bought the shenhe skin no i do not regret a thing
          xoxo bai 🪽