1| 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

I can feel her dying in my hands. I can't bear it, but I couldn't let her go either.

"Yoonseo!" I scream desperately, but I know it's too late.

She is dead. They are all dead. What's the point of winning this game if I'm all alone now?

My head hurts like hell from the stone Dabum smashed on it. I'll probably survive, but do I want to? They're all dead...

The longer I go over this in my head, the more I realize that they really have died. Every. Single. One.

"WHY?!", I scream at these damn speakers. "Why me?" Of course, I don't get an answer.

Maybe I don't get to decide the rules of this game. Maybe I can't decide how it goes. But I can decide how it ends.

My end.

Trembling, I stand up, look at Yoonseo's motionless body and gather all my courage to walk slowly towards the edge of the roof.

I put one foot on it. My sneaker soaked in Yoonseo's and Dabum's blood. The second.

I look down. Jungwon's body lies sprawled on the asphalt. A pool of blood right next to her head.

Another breath. Another tear. Then I spread my arms and look up at the clear, light blue sky one last time.

"The vote has been cast for a rematch," suddenly echoes through the speakers. "The second Mafia game is about to begin." I don't care what this fucking speaker says, I'm dying anyway. "Kim Junhee, you're not allowed to die until the game does."

I want to jump. I can't. My body won't move. It's not possible for me.

"Why can't I die the way I want to?!" I scream in rage as hot tears well up in my eyes again.

"Junhee?" I suddenly hear someone say quietly. It sounds like... It can't be.

I immediately step back from the edge of the roof and turn around, afraid that I've only imagined I've heard her voice.

But there she is. Alive.

"Yoonseo!" I run towards her as fast as my legs will carry me and hold her in a hug. "Please don't let this be another trick of this game."

"Junhee, what...," Yoonseo starts to speak, but I interrupt her.

"Don't say anything," I whisper, my voice still soaked with tears. "You're alive, that's all that matters."

"Where's Jungwon?" she asks me. I loosen my embrace a little to look into her reddened eyes.

I glance briefly towards the edge of the roof. From which I almost jumped.

"The civilians are victorious...", I mumble, repeating what echoed through the loudspeakers a few minutes ago.

Yoonseo stands up, trembling. Her steps are slow but firm. But I can't do this to her. She doesn't need to see Jungwon's body. Not like this.

So I grab her wrist and say, "We'll get her later." She looks at me. Her eyes still distraught from what she's been through. So I try everything I can to banish the despair from my eyes. "We have to see who's alive before the game starts."

"What, it's not over yet?" she asks with a fear in her voice that makes me shudder.

"There was just an announcement that there's going to be a rematch. That's the reason you're alive again, you were..." dead. But I can't say it.

"Let's go." I take Yoonseo's hand to walk back down from the roof with her.

The corridors are empty and everything seems silent. Even this building feels dead as we walk to the cold storage.