Two-The beginning of a tragic love story

The ride to the hospital was a bore, and Winnie found her slump against the carriage window while Belle attempted to make a small interesting conversation with Mr

  The ride to the hospital was a bore, and Winnie found her slump against the carriage window while Belle attempted to make a small interesting conversation with Mr. Smales. She sighed for the nth time at them and rolled her eyes in boredom.

"Why did you drag me to this?" Winnie whispered to her sister.

"So you can suffer with me!" Belle quietly hissed.

From the outside, the coachman yelled at the people to move aside as they passed through but suddenly, one side of the carriage leapt up, startling the her, Belle and Mr. Smales. The youngest Fox sister heard a pain groan from the outside, and swung her door open before her sister could even stop her.

Winnie gasped when she caught sight of a small boy clutching onto his leg as he cried painfully. "Oh my God." Belle stared in shock.

"Belle, do something!" The brunette urged. She went on her knees, not caring for the dirt ruining her skirt and helped the boy sit up. "It's okay, er– what's your name?"

"Charlie!"

"Charlie! Yes. It's going to be okay!" She hoped so as she continued to comfort him while simultaneously watching Belle tie a handkerchief around his injured leg. People had started to gather around them.

A man with blonde hair came running to them, who Winnie presumed was the doctor after Belle had called for one. He took off his top hat and placed down his equipment once he arrived, setting himself next to Belle to inspect the damage.

"I've put a tourniquet on." Belle started.

"It's not tight enough. I need something to tighten it with." The man said. As Belle looked around, he plucked the bobby pin from her hair and proceeded with tightening the tourniquet. "It's alright, Charlie. I'm gonna sort you right out." He reassured Charlie.

"Will you be able to help him?" Winnie asked the man.

"I'll need to amputate." He answered. "Excuse me, sir, can I borrow that? Thank you."

The two sisters shared a horrified glance. Winnie more so than Belle. "What about Bircher's procedure to save it?" her sister suggested.

"Miss, please."

"M'lady."

He ignored her. "To do that, I would need to drill into his leg bones, and insert pegs to knit them back together again. He would die of shock and pain."

Belle shook her head. "Not if you take the pain with ether." she said.

"The Yankee Dodge?"

"Yes."

"That is unproven."

"Except for Morton in Boston and Liston in London. Do you even read The Lancet?"

"Not while I have strength, no. Anyway, that chump of a Governor has banned ether, so Prof wouldn't let it near the hospital."