CHAPTER 18

"WAIT!!!"

As funny as it sounds all I had to do was wait. This was my superpowers in times like this. I would wait for everyone to partner up and the last person would have no choice but to partner with me because she would definitely have no other choice that way I won't get to suffer rejection. It's a win-win situation. 

I stealthily moved backed without them noticing.

It finally got to the time when everyone was done pairing.

"Are you all paired up?" Mrs Genevieve asked from where she sat down.

"Yes!" A good portion of the crowd answered in unison.

I got tensed and worried. Everyone was paired except me. There were no single girl that wasn't paired up.

"Hey...." James whispered in my ears.

"You startled me." I said as I turn to see James standing behind me.

Wait a minute

"Aren't you paired up?" I asked James who then moved to stand side by side with me.

"I wasn't before but now I am." James said smiling.

Does this mean he is pairing with me?

I guess my super powers worked against me today and in favour of James. He looked happy.

"Why are there a pair of boys?" Mrs Genevieve asked making everyone in the lounge to look back at us.

James and I were dumbfounded and I was already getting shy. James doesn't seems to be bothered.

Luckily, someone in the crowd spoke up.

"Layla and Cynthia were unable to make it here. They caught a cold." A girl said from the crowd.

"Their pair won't be a problem right? It's all about interpersonal relationships afterall,isn't it?" Another girl from the crowd asked Mrs Genevieve who was a bit confused. I'm pretty sure she wasn't aware of their absence (Layla and Cynthia)

"That won't be a problem....." Mrs Genevieve stopped talking when she saw someone raising his hands up to get her attention

"Yes." Mrs Genevieve answered.

"Since James and Javier can pair and you don't have a problem with that. Can I pair with Michael?" Jerome said staring at Michael.

"But you already have a pair.." Mrs Genevieve wasn't done talking when she was interrupted by another student.

"I also want to pair with alicia." The girl who was supposingly paired with Michael said.

"I hope it won't be a problem for us to switch partners since we both want to?" James asked Mrs Genevieve who was dumbfounded for a moment.

"Well....an agreement is an agreement. If you guys are willing to exchange partners no problem. Anyone wants to exchange their partners?" Mrs Genevieve asked but it was followed with silence. No one answered that means they are all okay with their partner.

Michael was excused by Mrs Genevieve and he went to meet Michael and paired with him why Michael's former partner paired with Alicia Jerome's former partner.

As Jerome walked towards Michael I could hear Michael whisper into his ears

"What are you doing?"

"Okay. Very good. It's great that we are all paired up now. Today's activities is building up friendship among yourselves and spending quality time getting to know each other. Each pair would be given seven hundred (700) pounds each to spend the best way you choose to and by dawn tomorrow you guys would give account of how your day went. The best team wins a bigger price. You guys are free to go out side of the lounge premises. Have fun." Mrs Genevieve winked at the crowd and smiled as she walked out of the room.

Was she suggesting we go on a date?

"Well,where do we go Javier?" James asked nudging me with his elbow.

"Well...... anywhere you want to go. I'm not the outing type." I said to James who seems excited inside but acts cool outside. I wasn't actually the type that loves going out. Especially after my break up with Claire. I was mostly indoors and depressed.

"I will figure it out and I promise you're going to love it." James said placing his hands over my shoulders with a smile on his face.

This couldn't get worsen,could it?

NARRATOR'S POV

"Hey,what was that for?" Michael asked Jerome who was standing by his side.

"Well...." Jerome wasn't done when he was interrupted by Michael.

"Well now you have ruined my chance of ever getting a date and I have to lose to James now." Michael said angrily. He really looks angry.

"Well...I have anxiety disorder and I tend to get nervous when I'm around people," Jerome said feeling sad.

"What does that has to do with me? If you're nervous around people then why aren't you nervous around me?" Michael asked infuriated.

"Well that's the problem. Whenever I'm around you my anxiety disorder seems not to react. I feel much more better around you. If I had agreed to pair up with Alicia I would have messed up everything. I've been in the same highschool as you since the beginning and you never wonder why I was alone. I can't handle people. I'm really sorry. It's my fault. I runied everything for you with my problems." Jerome said with teary eyes.

I think Michael realized how much hurt he caused him with his words that he had to apologize for a disability he didn't choose to be born with.

"Hmmm." Michael heaved an heavy sigh. "No. I'm sorry. I was just overreacting because I was definitely going to lose to James." Michael said apologetically.

"It's fine. I should be the one to apologize for burdening you with my problems. You were my only friend apart from James and Javier and I felt much more better around and I thought I could rely on you." Jerome said wiping a tear from his eyes.

Was he crying or was it his disorder acting up?

"Hmmm." Michael sighed and gave Jerome a hug. "does this makes you feel better?" Michael asked. "I promise to be a better friend to you from today." Michael said patting his back.

"Thanks Michael," Jerome said.

"So where do we go?" Michael asked Jerome who was wiping his eyes

"Go?" Jerome asked forgetting the task they were given.

"Yeah. Go. We were asked to spend a day having fun and give account of it by dawn tomorrow." Michael said to Jerome.

"Well...." Michael interrupted James before he was done talking.

"Oh! I know. Why don't we go to a place where they are less people. It would make you feel much better. What do you think?" Michael suggested.

"Anywhere you want to go. I'll be fine as long as you're there." Jerome said with a smile on his face.

"Okay. How about we go to...............