𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

"Serendipity"

— the discovery of something valuable or delightful unexpectedly while in pursuit of something else.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

LILLY was intimately acquainted with the tranquillity of solitude. She learned to treasure the solace of going solo in a world fraught with dangers at every turn, finding her melody in the soothing sounds of nature.

A month ago, things were different when she relied on those who pledged her safety. Since the tender age of three, she had been thrust into their tumultuous world, compelled to fend for herself and her brother amid violence and chaos. But now, he was gone, and everyone else too. She no longer dwells on it; a month has passed, and she has made peace with it.

Surviving in the outskirts of Wyoming alone wasn't a walk in the park for Lilly; she encountered her fair share of trouble but she managed to emerge alive each time – whether it was dealing with hunters or evading packs of infected.

Lilly was a cunning and sneaky little one. Daring. Her resilience knew no bounds, and she outsmarted anything and anyone that got in her path, but one mistake had proved to cost her dearly.

Stupid little one.

"Jesse! Flank her!" A commanding male voice roared from her right, and she skillfully ducked behind a pile of rubble just in the nick of time.

The blood from the girl she had brutally murdered with her axe stained her face and hands making her grip on the gun slippery.

Stupid little one.

If only she had been more careful she wouldn't be in this mess. She had successfully snatched supplies off people without ending up in a tricky situation before but this time, oh well, she was in a serious bind and she was gonna pay for it.

She was successfully outflanked by the two men as the man named Jesse swiftly closed in on her, now aiming his gun in her direction as well.

She felt like a trapped animal.

"Lower your weapon and slide it over, now!" commanded the man, his eyes bearing down on her with an intensity that told her not to mess around.

She hesitated for a brief moment, but the urgency in the man's eyes left no room for negotiation, especially with the other one rounding up on her. She didn't stand a chance fighting two grown fully armed men so she reluctantly lowered her weapon, sliding it across the gritty ground toward him.

"Get down on your knees. Hands behind your head, nice and slow," Jesse commanded, moving deliberately towards her. From the corner of her eye, she noticed the other man positioned above her to the right.

The cold steel of the gun pressed against her head as she hesitated. "Do as he says, now!" the man to her right said.

Lilly obeyed, her movements deliberate as she moved from a crouched position to kneeling, gradually lifting her hands and placing them behind her back. Though her mind raced, desperately seeking an escape plan or a mean to tip the situation in her favour, she couldn't deny the grim reality—she was beyond fucked.

Jesse, his gaze unwavering, finally spoke, "You've made a lot of noise in these parts, haven't you?"

Lilly kept her eyes fixed on the ground, offering no response and the other man, still holding his weapon against her head, sneered, "Not much of a talker, are you?"