Act Two

Dz, Demeter, Karsh, Dyrk, and Zyggy are the original characters of TikTok creator Ishness.

DZ

"Say it again, slower," I pressed, keeping my eyes locked on Shannyn's face and my hands on her pale blue shoulders. I licked my lips in an attempt to taste anything other than the bitter adrenaline souring my throat. It wasn't even mine to taste, I thought ruefully. It was hers. If she were human, I could easily dissolve the hormone racing through her body so we could both think more clearly. But no. Not for the first time, I resented the fact that I could feel the Ishness entities' emotions but do absolutely jack-shit to affect them.

"R-r-right," Shannyn stammered. "Yes." The shock of blue-gray feathers on her head lowered until they lay flat against her skull. Inner eyelids swept across her inky black sclera. Silently, I admired the control she had over her own emotions--jealous that I often struggled to do the same.

Delicately, the entity lowered herself onto the bench outside Demeter's council chambers. Crossing her legs and clasping her hands around her knee, Shannyn watched me keenly with her shining black eyes as I leaned against the wall across from her.

"Sorry, Dz." Her normal, chime-like voice rang out in the stone hallway. "I know how uncomfortable it is for you when--"

"Don't worry about it," I interrupted gruffly. "What happened?" 

Her lips pressed tightly together, the avian creature regarded me carefully. Shannyn was an old friend--one of the handful of entities who hadn't dropped me like a hot potato once I discovered my ability. I'd liked her from the moment we met. We were both constantly surveilling everyone and everything around us, never bothering to hide it. I respected that about her. I always knew what I was getting with Shannyn. Or at least, until this afternoon, when she came hurtling up the spiral staircase, barreling into me just outside Demeter's office. I'd never seen her this... flustered?

No, not flustered. Afraid

Frowning, I tried to read her expression. "What happened, love?" I murmured.

Shannyn shook her head. "I'd rather wait until Demeter's back, if it's all the same to you." 

"She's with Karsh, working on--" I caught myself. "A project. Likely won't be back until late tonight. Always burning the candle at both ends, those brainiac types."

She remained silent, staring at me with those pitch-black eyes. I felt like a bug pinned to a card.

"Shann, come on," I urged. "You know me. You know I'll do what I can to help." Silence. Is this what it's like when I stare at people? I cleared my throat nervously. "Are you worried about your safety?"

"Yes." Her tone was flat, even as she admitted fearing for her life.

I cursed inwardly before warily turning to El's technique that had worked so well on me during my last visit. Maybe if I just stayed quiet... Shannyn would spill. 

Several minutes passed. Neither of us said a word.

Abruptly, an errant feather on her shoulder twitched.

I smirked.

Shannyn rolled her eyes and a frustrated chittering sound tumbled from her lips. "Yes, I'm fucking scared, alright? This is outside my area of expertise." Her eyes glinted, as though trying to hint at more. I frowned; it wasn't like Shannyn to be this cagey. Slowly, she continued. "But it's not outside yours, or Demeter's, or Karsh's..."