Chapter 22: A Mess is Made

TW: Masturbation, Death, Kidnapping, Dead bodies. 

----------------------------------------------------------------

Kali wanders down the darkened hallway, guards have left their post as usual around the later hours. Tate follows close behind, tailing her as a chill runs through both of them.

"They're really keeping him down here? In this kind of place?" He whispers, and Kali answers with a nod.

"He's been down here since the day I came here. They just torture him."

"Do I want to know how you came across him? What were you doing down here?" He gives her a side eye and she shrugs.

"I was just exploring, don't worry about that now. At least I found out about him, who knows what's going on. Especially with these murders, I mean why was it just the head?"

"Maybe it's easier to transport when you just have the head?"

"But he kissed it! I mean, that seems a little ritualistic. There were a lot of things that implied such." Kali shivers as they turn the final corner, Kellum coming into full view.

He lays on the cobblestone floor, a fresh pool of blood surrounding him as he holds his head in his hands. Fresh cuts and whip marks bruise his body as they approach, Kali's heart sinking seeing the gentle elf looking so defeated.

But she feels nauseous as she thinks of what she needs to tell him now. How do I even start this?

Tate's foot kicks a stone, causing Kellum to look up quickly, pink long hair falling into his green eyes as he looks hard between them.

"Who is that?" His voice is husky and broken, his glare growing stronger. "You brought someone with you?"

"He's my friend," Kali's voice is soft as she crouches down, getting to his eye level on the floor.

"That doesn't mean he's mine." Kellum looks away and Kali sighs, wrapping her fingers around a bar.

"Kellum, in the woods we saw a man wearing a hood and all black... he... had the head of an elf. You were right, someone is murdering your people." She tightens her grasp, looking down, scared to look him in the face.

"So while I'm trapped in here, my people are still being slaughtered..." His hands form into a fist as he bites down on his lip."

"We're going to get you out of there, we're going to stop this." Kali blurts out, but her confidence isn't strong.

"When, Kali? Sooner or later I'll die here, then my kingdom will come looking for me. Just for there to be more death and bloodshed. I mean..." He pushes himself up off the ground, wobbling a little as he sturdies himself with the bars above her. "Do you even know who this killer is?" He starts to pace back and forth slowly, limping as a bloodied gash starts to seep crimson down his leg. "Or why does the King deny his existence?"

"We don't know, but we can find out!" Kali stands up as well, eyes pleading with him as her heart races. "You know I want to help you, I can figure this out. I just need to look more and..."

"Forget it," He turns to her, swaying as he approaches, his face inches from her with the metal barrier between. His eyes stare intensely at her, but she softens when she truly looks into them. They're broken and scared. "I don't need help anymore. Just let me die here, just let my kingdom reign hell upon this cursed place."

She reaches forward, trying to touch his shoulder but he flinches away. Her hands shake as tears start to prick at her eyes. "I don't want to forget it. I won't forget it. Or you."