Chapter 11

Owen and Amelia sat in the kitchen, surrounded by wedding magazines and brochures. They had been engaged for seven months now and were finally starting to plan their dream wedding. However, their differing opinions on when to have the wedding had caused some tension between them.

Owen was ready to get married as soon as possible. He didn't want to wait any longer to make Amelia his wife and start their life together. Amelia, on the other hand, wanted to wait a few months after she gave birth to their baby. She didn't want to be heavily pregnant and uncomfortable on her wedding day, and she wanted to have time to lose the baby weight before walking down the aisle.

Owen impatiently drummed his fingers on the kitchen counter as he watched his fiancée browse through wedding websites. He idly flipped through a bridal magazine, pointing out dresses and venues he liked, while Amelia scrolled through Pinterest on her laptop, pinning ideas for a beautiful outdoor wedding.

"Look at this venue, Amelia," Owen said excitedly, showing her a picture of a grand ballroom, finally finding something he liked.

Amelia looked up from her laptop and raised an eyebrow. "Owen, that's way out of our budget. And besides, I don't want a big ballroom wedding."

Owen let out a sigh. "Why does everything have to be so specific and complicated? Can't we just pick a date and get married?" They'd been going back and forth for weeks now, trying to solidify some sort of plan towards their venue; it was getting tiring.

Amelia could hear the frustration in his voice and it made her feel guilty. She knew Owen was eager to marry her and she didn't want to keep pushing the date back, but she also didn't want to sacrifice her dream wedding. She and Ryan had gotten married before he'd overdosed, and their venue was anything but romantic. She hadn't even picked out a dress that she actually wanted. Plus, she was high, so she couldn't even remember if they'd made their own vows or just repeated the regular ones. It was ill-advised, and she really should've listened to Addison on that one.

She wanted her wedding with Owen to be all the things that her last one hadn't been. She wanted it to be a fairytale, because her love for him felt like one.

"I know you're excited, Owen. I am too. But I don't want to look like a whale in my wedding photos. There's really no rush to choose a venue; I don't want to get married now. Can we please wait a few months after the baby is born?" she politely asked, hoping it would increase her chances of getting a yes in response. But no, she was wrong.

Owen shook his head, his anger rising. "You won't look like a whale, Amelia. You'll look beautiful, just like you always do. And I don't want to wait to marry you. We've been engaged for seven months already, I don't want to wait any longer."

Amelia pointed to a picture of a pregnant bride in the magazine Owen had in his hand. "That woman looks like a whale."

Owen looked at the picture and scoffed as he blushed. "You don't look like that."

She sighed and rolled her eyes; it was obvious he was lying. "I want to wait until after the baby is born. That way, I can lose some of the baby weight and not be waddling down the aisle."

Owen groaned in frustration. He had been looking forward to marrying Amelia for so long, and now she was putting it off, again. "Why can't we just have a small, intimate wedding now and then a bigger celebration later?"

"Because I want our wedding day to be perfect," Amelia replied, her tone growing more annoyed.

"Well, it's not going to be perfect if you keep getting bigger and bigger," Owen retorted, regretting the words as soon as they left his mouth.

Amelia's eyes widened as they filled with tears, and she turned away from him, hoping he hadn't seen any of them fall. She had been feeling self-conscious about her changing body, and Owen's comment only made it worse.