Chapter 1 • Something Special

As much as I want to say I'm "nothing special," that would be one of the biggest lies I've ever told.

     When I was just barely thirteen, I had a big fight with my parents. I don't even remember what it was about at this point. It made me so upset, though, that I promptly told them I loved them and went out for a walk. I remember walking for hours. I ended up at a port, somehow. I didn't even know there were ports in my town. 

     After a while, a guy approached me. "Hey little lady." He chuckled.

     I stayed silent and kept walking.

     "I'm talking to you, you know?" He kept his sinister grin glued on his face.

     "No offense, but I'm not interested." I muttered as I kept walking, barely loud enough for him to hear.

     He guffawed behind me. "You've got some fight in you!"

     I started walking faster. My memory is hazy, but I remember passing out and knowing that creepy man was to blame.

     Now this, this I do remember. Crystal clear.

     My eyes fluttered open, my head pushed all the way back against a headrest. I tried to move, starting with my hands, but they were cuffed to something. I looked at my hands in panic, seeing them cuffed to the chair I was in.

     I started thrashing around violently and shouting before the door opened.

     "So, you've come to."

     An arrogant voice traveled through the doorway. A scruffy man in a stunningly white lab coat came with it.

     "Your name is Audrey, correct?"

     That was right. 

     "Why should I tell you anything?" I snapped at him slightly.

     He chuckled. "Let me introduce myself. I'm Dr. Meruschell."

     "What's your doctorate in, kidnapping?"

     He took a few, slow steps forward. "Would you like to know what I'm going to do with you?"

     Despite my fear, I held my own quite well. "I on't have no reason to believe you even if you told me."

     He chuckled again, even louder this time. "I wasn't expecting you to say yes anyhow." He paused. "I would say take a seat, but you're already sitting down." He looked very pleased with himself.

     "Quite the jester, aren't you?" I glared at him.

     "Wow, you've got quite the glare. You almost gave me a reason to be scared of a newly thirteen-year-old." 

     I simply scoffed. "Go on, Monologue."

     The doctor ushered an assistant in. The assistant handed him a syringe.

     "For years now, scientists have been trying to figure out if humans produce pheromones. Well, my research team found out they do. We've also found a way to make humans emit more pheromones than others." Dr. Meruschell walked slowly towards me. I started flailing wildly.

     "The more you struggle, the more this will hurt." He got a tight grip on my arm.

     "I'll take my chances." My teeth clenched, my body and limbs still flailing.

     The syringe was suddenly in my veins, and just as suddenly out of them. It hurt only a little.

     "See?" The doctor teased. "It was practically a flu shot." He stepped away from me, handing the empty syringe back to the assistant. The assistant dismissed himself. "We're trying to figure out if an excess amount of human pheromones have an effect in battle."

     From there, I was stuck there for what felt like an eternity. Time was blurry, but if I had to guess, I'd say I was there for six or so months. They taught me how to fight. Their little experiment on me worked well. I found out I produce extra pheromones when I'm angry or ovulating (but doesn't everyone?). It worked well for distracting enemies. Just a bit.

     Had I tried to escape? I would've been a fool not to. I'm no fool. But the place was secure, scary secure for creepy experiments.

     So, eventually, it came to my "expiration date" (that's what they called it, the sickos). I got escorted to the very room I woke up in all that while ago. I felt myself get strapped to the chair. I didn't feel like I had a choice. I really didn't.

     Dr. Meruschell walked in, smiling pleasantly.

     "Doctor." I frowned.

     "Why so irritable, Audrey?" He chuckled. "Don't bother answering when you know I know the answer... anyhow, we're going to kill you today." He slapped on his latex gloves.

     "Wonderful." I sighed, resting my head against the headrest and closing my eyes.

     "Eager, are we?" He asked, walking over to me with a syringe.

     "Call it what you want." I grumbled back. "Honestly, whatever it takes to get out of here." I glanced at the needle. "Mind telling me what's in there?"

     "Poison, acid. Both real, lab modified acid and hallucinogens. You've already been experimented on before, we wanted to experiment this new poison, we figured 'why not kill two birds with one stone?'"

     "Lovely." I groaned. "Lovely, doctor, just lovely."

     He gripped my wrist, grinning. "You're a funny girl. It's a shame we had to meet under these circumstances."

     "For sure." I rolled my eyes. "Just do it."

     "Yes, ma'am."

     The needle penetrated my skin, and I braced myself for the small pain and the larger amount to come.

     Meruschell tossed the now empty syringe onto a metal tray and starting whistling carelessly.

     I started to feel myself sweating and the room getting hotter, not to mention my sudden nerves settling in. "You're a psychopath." I breathed heavily as I thrashed my wrists slightly under the cold metal cuffs.

     Meruschell laughed. "You mean a sadist?"

     I gave a weak, sarcastic laugh. "Do you live to infuriate me? Is that your life's mission?"

     "Caaaalm, Quippy." He teased. "Relax." He left out the door, leaving me with only my thoughts and my pain. And my pain grew.

     The pain came in excruciating throbs. Until it was constant. I yelled when the pain was too strong to handle without a fight.

     All of a sudden, my thrashing wrists were freed. I stood up readily, looking at the cuffs that previously held me. A green goo was all over the inside of the cuffs. A green goo was all over my wrists. I stumbled backwards, still staring.

     "What the..."

     "SECURITY BREACH. REPEAT, SECURITY BREACH." A robotic male voice sounded throughout the room following a red light.

     Crap. 

     I ran to the nearest wall out of panic. I placed my palms on the wall, as if out of instinct, and green slime grew from them. As the slime latched into the wall, it quickly started dissolving it. Within the matter of a few short seconds, a thick wall had been dissolved by a goo coming out of my body.

     Huh.

     Despite my desire to question it, I ran through the newly made hole in the wall and kept running until I eventually escaped. Since then, I've been on the run from those psychos. And they gave me powers, so the joke's on them.

     Turns out that green slime was acid. I can make acid with my body. And it can burn through pretty much anything. I'm, like, super strong. I can also make people hallucinate. That's pretty much my origin story of how I came to now.

IMPORTANT (A/N)

HEYYYYY THIS IS THE AUTHOR I JUST WANNA SAY IK ITS BAD AND IM ALSO YOUNG SO PLEASE BE EASY ON ME BUT I HOPE YOU ENJOY