Where Am I Now in Fandoms?

Right now, I happily participate in many fandoms. I write fan fiction, consume mass amounts of media, create OCs, and make spin-off universes. But what I do more than anything are Reader Insert stories.

(Y/N) is the main character in almost all of my stories, and she always has a crush. She travels across universes, falling in love and living happily ever after with fictional characters across many fandoms. These events are beyond my reach in reality, so I write them myself and share them with the world. Where has it gotten me?

Just looking at the top stories on my Wattpad profile (ZairaDrayan), anyone can tell that I've found fellow fangirls to enjoy my content, and we have a lot of fun. Every comment warms my heart because I know my interests are being seen.

Have I been bullied for what I write? Yes. I've had everyone on the school bus in middle school start laughing because I didn't fit into social norms. I've seen people scrunch up their faces in disgust because I tell them I'm part of a fandom. I've watched dark clouds of doubt darken someone's vision just at the thought of the Undertale fandom. In the past, fandoms have hurt me, and I have seen how they hurt others. But does that make them something inherently evil?

Ultimately, I believe how we act toward others and how they choose to express creativity is the key to making these online communities a nicer place. It's okay to have opinions, create characters, and build worlds. It's okay to have wacky interests on the Internet. Just don't get carried away, and remember that we all have feelings.

If you ever struggle with bullies or copycats, report and block those users. Share community posts about what happened. Find support from the right people who care about what you do. I promise they exist.