Chapter 19

The nurse did not take long to examine Layla, saying she was fine but advising her to lay down for a little while. The nurse's office was a small building that consisted of one room. It had a few chairs, shelves, and a bed. Though it was not air conditioned, it was still cooler than it was outside thanks to a small fan.
    The nurse told Layla that she could rest there for the time being. And with that she left, leaving Layla alone with Tony.
    Lying down on the bed, Layla stared at the ceiling so she did not have to acknowledge Tony. Her chest still felt warm while her heart still stuttered slightly at the thought of him. What is this feeling? She yelled over and over again in her head.
"You feeling better, Layla?" Tony asked. Her heart jumped at the sound of his voice. Why?!
"You know you don't have to stay here, Toretto." She said as she looked over at him. She furrowed her eyebrows and kept her eyes cold as she tried to keep her face blank.
"I know." He said. He made no attempt to get up from the chair he was sitting in.
"You should go back to the game."
"I'd rather be here with you." He insisted.
"Why?" She asked.
"Otherwise you'll be all by yourself."
"And who said I have a problem with that?" She sat up and rested her back against the wall as she watched him. His eyes moved from her and drifted across the room.
"I can go if you want." He said after a few seconds. His eyes landed on her again. "I just thought you'd like the company.
Seeing him look all sad and dejected pulled at her heart strings. She could not help but feel bad and give in. He was not so bad to have around. Even though he did make her feel strange.
"Whatever. Do what you like." She said as she laid back down. They were silent for several minutes before Layla got an idea. "Hey, Tony."
"Yeah?" He perked up upon hearing her speak to him.
"Could you do something for me?" She asked.
"Sure, what is it?"
"I need you to grab a red pencil bag for me from my suitcase."
He gave her a thoughtful look before standing up. "Alright." He said on his way out the door. Silence encased the room as he left, leaving Layla alone with only her thoughts.
The second Tony was out of sight she could almost feel the lack of his presence. The room felt darker, colder, and emptier. Now she almost wished that she did not send him on a quick, little errand.
She shook the thought out of her mind. Why would she think that? The attachment she felt towards him scared her. What if he did not feel the same way and she was left feeling empty forever?
No, that was not the most important concern. The real concern was: what happened when they were no longer together? She had already made a point to keep him out of her life. After the summer camp she was going to go back to avoiding him. It was for the best.
But despite her telling herself that, she felt a pang in her heart. Was it really for the best? She was trying to stay strong, but was beginning to have some doubts.