02| Boyfriend

William

My life was over!

Time of death 18:45

I never used to be the type of person who believed in the restraints of time but now, I know without a doubt that six months can completely change someone's life. Especially if all you have been doing is trying not to change. Being a college freshman was hard but being a college freshman who lived at home and was the Dean's son was even harder. Especially if your parents like mine considered you their perfect child.

Sticking to my parents expectations had never been a challenge to me. Not when everyone was ditching classes, not when Johnathan from highschool was offering everyone drugs and not when my best friend - decided to try her hand at petty theft. I had managed to escape all those instances of disobedience and despite my parents being marginally strict I had grown accustomed to the lifestyle.

Knowing all this obviously brings up the question what changed. To be honest nothing really changed. I succumbed to the dark allure of temptation, once. And unfortunately that one time was all it took to destroy my life in a way I couldn't possibly have imagined.

That one instance of weakness had led to my biggest regret ever. Of course that didn't involve the one time I got into a fight with Gretchen Michaels in first grade because I thought she wouldn't beat me. I was wrong then and sadly I was wrong now.

How did I end up here? You might ask. Well, life is a bitch and it turns out I am the loser in the book who gets to destroy his life unwittingly for unknown reasons and the universe.

I mean my day was going well before all this. It was going so well that Samuel's unexpected presence on campus had done little to rattle me. Which was a win because if there is anything that could manage to sour my mood in an instant it was that tattoo clad, leather wearing, 6 foot bad boy, Asian.

Sam unlike everyone else at West Kinsley University, knew me. He knew the real me. He knew me more than Harlow did and all that was thanks to growing up in the same town and having our parents try and fail to make us best friends. Of course when it came to Sam a lot of adults went from Sam-is-a-good-boy to I-never-want-to-see-you-with-that-boy in the blink of an eye. What else can one expect from Sam anyway. He had never believed in moderation his whole life.

So yeah, seeing Sam had temporarily made me feel uneasy but that all vanished when I learned he wasn't coming back to University. Any day you learnt about having less exposure to his infuriating aloof smirk was a good day in my book.

Unbeknownst to me my bad day started then. Knowing Sam wouldn't be in my life put me in a fairly good mood. And that little extra spring in my step made me fill invincible.

My first mistake if you will.

Because noone is invincible a lesson I learnt a little too late. So with the spring in my step and that joyous pep in my lungs I found myself scrolling through my Snapchat. As one does when they get home. Updating a few streaks here and there, responding to some messages and wondering when was the last time I texted...

People. You know specific people. I mean we all have people like that in our snap right?

Yeah. Of course. Everyone has that one person...people.

And with the house all to myself ideas were brewing in my invincible head.

My second mistake.

Never entertain ideas that come when you are alone. Of course now I know that. Wish I knew that a few hours ago.

Embracing the silence and the ideas I went on to destroy my life in the worst way possible. And unfortunately all it took was a green and gold West Kinsley Community College football jersey. Suffice to say it wasn't exactly mine.