CHAPTER ONE

Adella's eyes creaked open. It was the first day at their new seaside home. In a fancy apartment. 

The walls were painted a soft cream colour, the chandelier dangling left to right. The bed was soft and made of silk, the marble floor covered in a layer of faux fur. On her bedside table sat her grubby black bag, looking very out of place amongst the aesthetic room. 

She clicked a buttton and the curtains swung open, showing the ocean in full detail, each wave outlined with a light blue frame of foam, the sand wet and glistening in the hot sun. Adella could have watched the sea for ever, each wave being swallowed by a larger wave then crashing down with a sonorous sound. But, she had other priorities so she made her way out of bed, jammed her slippers on her bare feet and padded off into the kitchen. 

The kitchen was bright and airy, the theme was definitely gold. Gold wallpaper, gold floor, gold countertop, gold fridge and so on. 

Adella cracked some eggs into a bowl (gold bowl but no gold eggs) and she whisked them together. Omelettes were always her comfort breakfast.

Lorelei ran down the steps. Adella's younger sister, her confident opposite. Her long curly black hair was tossed casually in a bun, strands still hanging from the sides. Her warm caramel skin lit up in the bright light, her eyes turned gold as the sun streamed through the window and hit her irises.

They were both dressed casually but in black. The day before yesterday was the funeral. The funeral of their parents. That day had been a frenzy, packing, reading the will, learning what their parents wanted, spending 5 hours in the airport, then the next day, they arrived here in Mediterranea after 10 hours on the airplane and then they were rushed off to activities before retreating to their massive apartment which their parents mysteriously left them. 

Lorelei spoke first, breaking the thick wall of silence. "What's for breakfast?" she asked casually. Adella ran a hand through her light-blonde hair. "It's hard deciding, isn't it? Well, I thought we'd have omelettes today." Lorelei snorted. "Hard deciding? You didn't have a hard time deciding whether we'd come here or not. We could've stayed in our London home in South Kensington. The house was beautiful and you rented it out?" 

Adella glared at Lorelei. "Look, Lorelei. I had no choice, it was written in Mum and Dad's will! Besides, I'm not working yet and I still need to support you and our school fees. Getting extra money, what's the harm? We need every little bit, it helps so much. Please, stop being angry at me and be angry at the world for killing Mum and Dad in a freak car accident!"

Lorelei choked backs sobs. "If that's how you want it, fine! All the money doesn't go to you just because you're the oldest." She grabbed the keys from the front door and then stormed out. 

Adella sighed as she sunk into a pouffe. She stared at her reflection in the mirror in front of her. A beautiful young lady stared back. Her light-blonde hair was dangling out, hanging down to the middle of her upper arm. Her dress was casual, black, up to her lower thigh, black cardigan and matching slippers. But, what scared her most was her face. Her usually carefree happy eyes were a fierce sea greenish-blue, framed with long lashes but today, her lashes drooped and her eyes were red-rimmed with crying. Parts of her hair cling to her forehead with sweat, her cheeks bright pink as she was boiling hot.

Suddenly, her phone pinged with a text and Adella rushed to click it open. Lorelei sent her something. 

Come to the mall next to the giant skyscrapers. I want to show you something.

Adella texted back, Sure, I'm coming.

Then, she changed her slippers into black heels, applied on some makeup, did her hair in a cute but messy topknot and packed her purse. Then, she stuffed her phone, her credit card and some tissues in the purse then went out and locked the door.

The lift pinged open with one touch of her fingerprint and she jabbed the ground floor button. Voices carried out around her, laughing and joking with some arguments in the background. She could see many families walking around happily and tried to not let that get to her. They didn't deserve her tears. She would save them.

Lorelei was hidden in a corner of the cinnamon roll shop, eating a cinnamon roll and drinking hot chocolate. "Took you long enough." She polished off the rest of her roll before rounding on Adella angrily. "Listen, I know you hate me but why didn't you come earlier?"

Adella scowled. "If you want to play it this was, fine! I guess you don't care that the streets were packed and I'm not a dwarf like you so it isn't easy for me. I'm sorry you hate my existence and wish I was never born. I wish that you would just be sucked up by the sea!" she shouted.

Lorelei gasped as her body began to twitch. Then she was lifted with invisible hands and she melted into a stream of bubbles.

Adella screamed out, "Lorelei!" making lots of people stare. But, she didn't care. Her sister was gone after less than 48 hours without their parents. She was so screwed. What could she do? Suddenly, she found the stream of bubbles still floating as she chased after them. Perhaps they would lead her to her sister.